cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ey7777
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 24

Re: Impossible to use client mail programs (Outlook on PC or Mail app on IPhone with my bt email add

@Andy_Nwrote:

@ey7777wrote:

Maybe when I said "age" of the account, I was not precise. BT Level 2 Support team (whoever they are 😉 ) have said that the problem is related to my email originally being a btopenworld address and associated with BT Yahoo. Those characteristics are associated with the age of the account, as far as I understand - so that's what they probably meant. Or, they're completely wrong - I really don't know at this point.

I'd appreciate any assistance from the mods, as I've tried everything I can up to now.

Thank you

Hi.

The issue might be a sync issue. You've not changed passwords recently have you? If so, try the old password in the app/client.

You could try the full email address including @btopenworld.com, and if that fails use @btinternet.com

I assume you're using the correct settings (and not the yahoo servers).

What is certain as licquorice said, the age of the account is not relevant and the help desk are wrong. Indeed back in the early 2000s, BTinternet as an ISP started using btopenworld.com as email addresses when broadband started (though btinternet.com was still mirrored). Yahoo took over the mail system in around 2004, and was completely separate to btopenworld or btinternet.

As your other accounts are fine (and you can access via webmail), hopefully the mods can help out here and check the account status. It might be due to a lockout for app/client access based on what you've said earlier, which is a system problem and a totally over zealous security measure. Others have had a similar type of issue in the past.

Thank you for your response. I have changed passwords several times since the issue started. I have tried earlier passwords, including the last one from before it started, but that has not worked. I am using the full email address, and have tried btopenworld as well, and am using the btinternet server settings, not the yahoo settings (although I did try those at too, which didn't work).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 24

Re: Impossible to use client mail programs (Outlook on PC or Mail app on IPhone with my bt email add

I would suggest that you respond to the moderators post offering assistance and if you can still access webmail just use it until they have contacted you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
ey7777
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 24

Thank you, I have done so.

@gg30340wrote:

I would suggest that you respond to the moderators post offering assistance and if you can still access webmail just use it until they have contacted you.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 24

@ey7777 I can't see anything from you in our queue. Did you reply to @DavidM's private message? 

0 Ratings
ey7777
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 24

@NeilOwrote:

@ey7777 I can't see anything from you in our queue. Did you reply to @DavidM's private message? 

Yes, I replied at 16:07

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 24

@ey7777 Thanks for sending your message again, I can see it's in our work queue now.

0 Ratings
ey7777
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 24

I just discovered something odd that may give a clue to the cause of the problem. In MyBT, there is a Profile section. In that section there is an option to change the password. If I view what the password is that is set in the field there, it is different from the one that I used to sign in to MyBT (and to my primary email, both have the same password - this was forced on me by the system).

Unfortunately, trying to use that particular password on my email clients did not work. But maybe it points to a problem?

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 24

Hi @ey7777 

Thanks for posting back!

We will be able to look into this more closely whenever you reach the top of our email queue.  One of the mods will give you a shout next week to chat you about this.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
asif-1
Message 19 of 24

I have just started to experience the same problem.  I'm unable to add my btinternet address to my iphone outlook app.  I also have 2 seperate passwords for mybt and email app (outlook).  Have tried to resolve it using all the different advice offered - reboot iphone, add btinternet manually, etc - but with no luck.  Luckily have managed to set up gmail account as I have decided to slowly migrate across with a view to stop using btinternet as it fast becoming extremely unreliable and unpredictable.  Still need to use it for some time so desperate to add to outlook and any help will be appreciated.

0 Ratings
ey7777
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 24

My problem was solved, but behind the scenes at BT, not through anything they advised me to do. You'll probably have to get support to help you. Good luck!

0 Ratings