cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Halemum
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

InBox email gets automatically moved to Trash after 7 days. HELP!!!

I'm at my wits end!

I access my e-mails on the Mac and for a while now, emails would 'disappear' after a month from the inbox on both Mac & yahoo mail. I lived with it. Good discipline to keep on top of the in-box.

However, yesterday the emails that were over 7 days in the inbox disappeared. I found then in the yahoo trash file?!?

Long calls to BT & Apple have solved nothing. Everything on settings has been checked & double checked.

Today, even while I was trying to solve the problem, another 2 emails from the bottom of the inbox were pushed into the yahoo trash file.

My gut feel is that because the 'old' inbox emails are being pushed into the yahoo Trash file that this is likely to be a yahoo issue

Does anyone out there have a clue what is happening? And more importantly, does anyone have a solution?

Fingers crossed!   

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: InBox email gets automatically moved to Trash after 7 days. HELP!!!

@Halemum wrote:

I'm at my wits end!

I access my e-mails on the Mac and for a while now, emails would 'disappear' after a month from the inbox on both Mac & yahoo mail. I lived with it. Good discipline to keep on top of the in-box.

However, yesterday the emails that were over 7 days in the inbox disappeared. I found then in the yahoo trash file?!?

Long calls to BT & Apple have solved nothing. Everything on settings has been checked & double checked.

Today, even while I was trying to solve the problem, another 2 emails from the bottom of the inbox were pushed into the yahoo trash file.

My gut feel is that because the 'old' inbox emails are being pushed into the yahoo Trash file that this is likely to be a yahoo issue

Does anyone out there have a clue what is happening? And more importantly, does anyone have a solution?

Fingers crossed!   

This usually happens when you have at least two devices accessing your email and one does not have "Keep messages on the server" set.  It is also likely that one device is using POP and the other IMAP.  If you give more details of devices used and how they are set up without disclosing any personal information you should be able to get a more definitive reply.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Halemum
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the advice

I have 3 devices, Mac, ipad & iphone. Mac accesses via IMAP & other 2 via POP. 

Mac was on POP but I was recommended to change that to IMAP because of a persistent password prompt problem & losing emails after a month. It solved the first problem but not the second

I checked the Incoming mail settings 'Delete from server' and they are all set to never.  

Any further thoughts would be great

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 4

@Halemum wrote:

Thanks for the advice

I have 3 devices, Mac, ipad & iphone. Mac accesses via IMAP & other 2 via POP. 

Mac was on POP but I was recommended to change that to IMAP because of a persistent password prompt problem & losing emails after a month. It solved the first problem but not the second

I checked the Incoming mail settings 'Delete from server' and they are all set to never.  

Any further thoughts would be great

I think it was bad advice to change from POP to IMAP.  A problem with IMAP is that it synchronises with the servers and it is very easy to get the problem you describe.   I think I know what is happening here. 

If you are happy just to TEMPORARILY (say 2 -3 days) have your emails handled solely by your MAC I suggest you change your password using webmail but only update the password on the MAC.  This should stop the emails disappearing and the persistent password prompt should also not reappear. Leave the MAC on IMAP for the moment.

If you have to have your emails picked up by ipad and/or phone then let me know and we can work something out.

If you are on SKYPE I would be happy to explain what we are doing. Private Message me with your SKYPE name if so.

I do not think this is a Yahoo issue.

0 Ratings