Over the last few days we have had intermittent access to e-mails using Outlook. Webmail is OK.
The message we receive is:
- Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC1A) : 'Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance.'
As far as I am aware nothing has changed with the setup. This is happening on two different computers with 4 different e-mail addresses (all associated to the same account).
At the moment we have the luxury of being able to access the internet using two different ISPs (one of which is BT). Both show the same problem.
Solved! Go to Solution.
The error code is probably just a generic code being thrown up when there is an unknown problem however you should check that you are using the correct settings as per this link.
The incoming and outgoing settings are correct. The settings have not been changed, the problem started about 3 days ago and before that the system was working as well as can be expected from BT/Yahoo.
If the settings were incorrect I would not expect it to work at all, but it does work I would guess about 5% of the time.
The same problem is happening with two different machines accessing different addresses on the same account.
The reason I asked you to check the settings is because some people have their Outlook set up using the Yahoo settings and not the correct BT ones. The Yahoo settings were previously recommended to be used when there were problems with the BT email servers and were also used when email accounts were set up using the Outlook wizard.
If you can access your email via webmail there is obviously nothing wrong with your account or password so that would tend to suggest that it is a server problem. When this happens the advice on the forum is to do nothing such as changing your password or setting up the account again as it usually causes more problems than it solves and the problem usually resolves its self after a few days.
Also got this. There is something that has stopped working on the bt mail side. As my clients all running outlook and the settings were working previously now just show errors. My password has been changed and updated across my devices. Webmail iPhone and iPad are receiving emails. Just outlook server settings keep failing since the end of July.
That's exactly it. Over the last months, similar messages have occasionally appeared for one of the three addresses I'm trying to access but now it's much more consistently not working for all three addresses.
Receiving has worked once today - don't know about send, I've not seen any e-mails that need replying to 😊.
I hope time will fix the problem.
Same here, three computers and two email accounts and am getting the same error, I have rebooted the router and a switch i use multiple times and still get the problem then without doing anything i open Outlook and all is well.
All the settings are correct and i even recreated my account on an old laptop .... same problem.
No problem with internet access
It has been driving me mad for the last 3 or 4 days
Hi there, just been back on again on a clients machine to try and understand whats going on.
I have just added a google mail account manually using the same ports and imap but for google and it works no problem. Even if bt dont want to admit it there is an issue.
To prove its working ive added a number of other imap accounts with the correct passwords and settings and it works. So its not outlook also to add windows 10 mail also works on imap so dont get it.