Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gladgrad
Contributor
Message 1 of 36

Intermittent e-mail access using Outlook

Go to solution

Over the last few days we have had intermittent access to e-mails using Outlook.  Webmail is OK.

The message we receive is:

- Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC1A) : 'Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance.'

As far as I am aware nothing has changed with the setup.  This is happening on two different computers with 4 different e-mail addresses (all associated to the same account).

At the moment we have the luxury of being able to access the internet using two different ISPs (one of which is BT).  Both show the same problem.

Help 😒

35 REPLIES 35
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 36

Re: Intermittent e-mail access using Outlook

Go to solution

The error code is probably just a generic code being thrown up when there is an unknown problem however you should check that you are using the correct settings as per this link.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

0 Ratings
gladgrad
Contributor
Message 3 of 36

Go to solution

The incoming and outgoing settings are correct.  The settings have not been changed, the problem started about 3 days ago and before that the system was working as well as can be expected from BT/Yahoo.

If the settings were incorrect I would not expect it to work at all, but it does work I would guess about 5% of the time.

The same problem is happening with two different machines accessing different addresses on the same account.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 36

Go to solution

The reason I asked you to check the settings is because some people have their Outlook set up using the Yahoo settings and not the correct BT ones. The Yahoo settings were previously recommended to be used when there were problems with the BT email servers and were also used when email accounts were set up using the Outlook wizard.

If you can access your email via webmail there is obviously nothing wrong with your account or password so that would tend to suggest that it is a server problem. When this happens the advice on the forum is to do nothing such as changing your password or setting up the account again as it usually causes more problems than it solves and the problem usually resolves its self after a few days.

0 Ratings
Borse2008
Contributor
Message 5 of 36

Go to solution

Also got this. There is something that has stopped working on the bt mail side. As my clients all running outlook and the settings were working previously now just show errors. My password has been changed and updated across my devices. Webmail iPhone and iPad are receiving emails. Just outlook server settings keep failing since the end of July. 

gladgrad
Contributor
Message 6 of 36

Go to solution

Borse2008,

That's exactly it.  Over the last months, similar messages have occasionally appeared for one of the three addresses I'm trying to access but now it's much more consistently not working for all three addresses.

Receiving has worked once today - don't know about send, I've not seen any e-mails that need replying to 😊.

I hope time will fix the problem.

0 Ratings
vmx1200
Beginner
Message 7 of 36

Go to solution

Same here, three computers and two email accounts and am getting the same error, I have rebooted the router and a switch i use multiple times and still get the problem then without doing anything i open Outlook and all is well.

All the settings are correct and i even recreated my account on an old laptop .... same problem.

No problem with internet access

It has been driving me mad for the last 3 or 4 days

Viti
Beginner
Message 8 of 36

Go to solution
I have same problems but the same problems occur with send as well. Sometimes it resolves by itself after a while. Other times I have to close outlook and re open and that works. Seems a typical BT mail problem to me.
0 Ratings
Viti
Beginner
Message 9 of 36

Go to solution
Just gone onto BT help. First they said it was nothing to do with them. Then they said they were escalating to a "higher authority" (which turned out to be their supervisor!) and it would be solved in 24 hours. Yeah right...
0 Ratings
Borse2008
Contributor
Message 10 of 36

Go to solution

Hi there, just been back on again on a clients machine to try and understand whats going on.

I have just added a google mail account manually using the same ports and imap but for google and it works no problem.  Even if bt dont want to admit it there is an issue.

To prove its working ive added a number of other imap accounts with the correct passwords and settings and it works. So its not outlook also to add windows 10 mail also works on imap so dont get it.

0 Ratings