cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philby
Beginner
Message 11 of 18

Re: Is there a problem with BT Yahoo Email tonight?

kinetic747 - are you experiencing exact same issue?

0 Ratings
str8chat
Contributor
Message 12 of 18

I have the same problem. My btinternet.com mail is still with BT Yahoo, even though BT indicated in an email in May 2014 that the accounts would soon be moving from BT Yahoo to BT's own email service.

I have an account at yahoo.com as well as my btinternet.com accounts. I also have an outlook.com account. I addressed the same email from outlook.com to both my yahoo.com account and one of my btinternet.com accounts. The yahoo.com account received the email, but as others have found, the btinternet.com address was rejected.

I used mxtoolbox.com to check out the status of the btinternet.com mail service and got:

Category Host Result  

dmarcbtinternet.comThe Record is not Valid More Info
dmarcbtinternet.comRecord Found More Info

The same check for yahoo.com revealed

Category Host Result  

dmarcyahoo.comRecord Found More Info
dmarcyahoo.comThe Record is Valid

More Info

I suspect that outlook.com have changed their checks and are now bouncing emails where they encounter a dmarc entry that it not valid, while other email services are less restrictive over the invalid record. If this is the case, then I guess outlook.com were entitled to do this and it is up to btinternet.com to repair their dmarc result so that it is valid.

How long it might take BT to sort this is not clear. But I just hope the timescale is shorter than the time it is taking to move people from BT Yahoo to BT email services.

0 Ratings
str8chat
Contributor
Message 13 of 18

@philby wrote:

This is still happening.

Four different outlook.com accounts.
@None of them can reach any @btinternet.com addresses.

Doesn't matter what device / mail client these are sent from.
Doesn't matter how I'm connected to internet.

No response after sending details top Postmaster.

Is anyone from BT likely to comment on this?

I spent about an hour in an online 'chat' session with someone in BT Customer Service yesterday. She had me carry out various tests and noted down the details of the results I was getiing in the chat session's transcript.

I think we pretty much exhausted the tests she could supervise and she said it would be escalated to a higher level team to investigate. She also indicated it could be 48 hours before I hear anything. Assuming they don't work weekends, then this will take it until Tuesday lunchtime, after which I will try again with a chat session.

0 Ratings
str8chat
Contributor
Message 14 of 18

As instructed in the error rreport on outlook.com, I have sent the following to postmaster@btinternet.com

When sending emails from outlook.com to a btinternet.com address the emails are not being sent. Outlook.com receives an error report saying:

Reporting-MTA: dns;BLU004-OMC4S29.hotmail.com
Received-From-MTA: dns;BLU437-SMTP97
Arrival-Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 03:55:35 -0700

Final-Recipient: rfc822;XXXX.XXXX@btinternet.com
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;554 Message rejected for policy reasons (3.2.2.1) - Please report any problems to BT via the postmaster@btinternet.com mailbox and include your sending ip address with an example header of your email

I have checked out the MX record for btinternet.com using the MXtoolbox website, and it reports that the DMARC record, which I believe is provided by the DNS service is not valid. The error is shown as follows:

Capture.JPG

This appears to be the reason why outlook.com reported a DNS problem as shown above.

It is not clear whether outlook.com have changed their validation for outgoing emails, or btinternet.com has made a change to the MX record that means the DMARC field is no longer valid. Either way, it is obvious that btinternet.com is ultimately responsible for the problem as it is their MX/DMARC record that is causing the problem.

Although I am only aware of this affecting emails from outlook.com, obviously the problem may be affecting many more email services worldwide.

Can we look forward to an early resolution of this problem, or will it simply be the motivation for users to move to other email services or even other ISPs?

0 Ratings
Gerry_Atrick
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 18

PROBLEM SOLVED?  Well at least it seems to be for me.  I have just tested my Outlook.com account within the last 10 minutes and I have successfully sent emails to 2 different BTinternet.com addresses and these were delivered without any problems.

Hope everyone else is back to normal again.

Thanks to all concerned who contacted BT and/or Outlook for their sterling efforts in getting this matter resolved.

Gerry 

0 Ratings
philby
Beginner
Message 16 of 18

Thanks for posting Gerry - just checked and @btinternet.com can now receive from @outlook.com.

Thanks to whoever sorted this...
0 Ratings
str8chat
Contributor
Message 17 of 18

@Gerry_Atrick wrote:

PROBLEM SOLVED?  Well at least it seems to be for me.  I have just tested my Outlook.com account within the last 10 minutes and I have successfully sent emails to 2 different BTinternet.com addresses and these were delivered without any problems.

Hope everyone else is back to normal again.

Thanks to all concerned who contacted BT and/or Outlook for their sterling efforts in getting this matter resolved.

Gerry 

Thanks for the update, Gerry. It's working for me as well now. I wonder if we will ever find out if it was outlook or btinternet that fixed it so we know who to call next time it happens.

0 Ratings
PompeyinAberdeen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 18

Could it be that BT have just switched off their spam filters - because purely by coincidence, since the 16th July, when the previous posters said things started working again, I have been flooded with spam emails.

0 Ratings