cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Issue with viewing emails on iphoneXR

When I have deleted emails on my phone they come back again even if I delete them from my bin. They come back 2/3 times before finally going from my inbox for good. Is there anything I can do in my settings to stop this annoying issue? 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Issue with viewing emails on iphoneXR

@Cris61 Thanks for posting, do you have the email set up using IMAP settings check out this link for more info.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Hi I have POP account with SSL enabled.how do I change to IMAP?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Hi @Cris61 there's a link to Apple support on the help link I posted in my previous reply, that has instructions on where you need to go on your phone to set up the email as IMAP. See below the settings that you need to use.

IMAP settings

Incoming Mail Server: mail.btinternet.com

Port: 993 (this should be automatically populated by selecting the SSL encryption)

SSL Encryption: Enabled (but not STARTTLS)

Username: your email address including the @btinternet or @btopenworld.com part

Password: your btinternet or btopenworld password

Root folder/path:

Folder separator: . (full stop)

Please do NOT enable "secure password authentication" (SPA). It's not needed when you use SSL encryption and won't work.

If your IMAP client supports it, we recommend you also set up the following folders:

• Trash
  • Sent Items
  • Drafts
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Be aware that you can't change from POP3 to IMAP on the fly, you will have to delete the account and re- create it.

Message 6 of 8

If you are going to change to IMAP make sure you back up your POP3 account before deleting it so that you have  a copy of all the emails that are presently in your POP3 account. 

You should also check that any emails that you want to keep are still on the BT servers by logging onto your email account. If they are not there they won't be available via IMAP and you will need to retrieve them from your POP3 backup. 

Message 7 of 8

Thanks for all suggestions. Seems I will just put up with the issue I am having rather than create more issues by deleting my account to put it right

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

With POP3, your iPhone doesn't synchronise with other devices or the server. Sent mail will only be accessible on your iPhone and anything you delete will just be deleted locally. A copy of your Inbox will remain on the server if you have ticked the option to do so, otherwise received mail is deleted from the server once downloaded to your iPhone.

0 Ratings