cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 1 of 3

Keeping BT Yahoo! Classic Mail from 4 February

For some weeks, those of us who want to keep Classic Mail have been exhorted to upgrade to the new BT Yahoo! Mail, despite it having been the source of many problems. The latest effort on the webmail site has been a big stopwatch with an ominous warning about the countdown to 04-02-2012, but no indication of what was going to happen on that date. As it's tomorrow I dug deeper.

The small print alongside the stopwatch contains an option to stay with Classic Mail, which you have to choose to proceed without upgrading. It also contains this link: str cfg_branding_mail. I clicked that and found a further option to keep Classic Mail; choosing that makes the warnings and exhortations disappear, and subsequent visits take you direct to Classic Mail. Surprise, surprise! [NB. If you click the link from here, you have to sign in first.]

So it looks as if the warnings were not as ominous as they seemed, and Yahoo! may be giving up the strong-arm tactics. We'll find out tomorrow if I've spoken too soon and they had something up their sleeve along with the strong arm!

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Keeping BT Yahoo! Classic Mail from 4 February

@pottyperson wrote:

So it looks as if the warnings were not as ominous as they seemed, and Yahoo! may be giving up the strong-arm tactics. We'll find out tomorrow if I've spoken too soon and they had something up their sleeve along with the strong arm!

That was my perception. I've been clicking that link every time. I tried the "new" mail months ago, and it was so poor I reverted and have resisted ever since.

As ectophile said on the Countdown thread :

In reality this whole charade is because Yahoo desparately wants you to agree to their new Terms & Conditions that allow them to read your mail and pass information about your interests to advertisers.

If they just wanted you to get a better email system they would just have upgraded it.

No way will I agree to their new T&Cs.

0 Ratings
Violet1956
Message 3 of 3

Re: Keeping BT Yahoo! Classic Mail from 4 February

Thanks for the tip this has been annoying me for days. I sent feedback to BT Yahoo but of course their feedback forms say they don't reply to feedback they just find it helpful. They don't demonstrate that they act on it and I believe we are therefore entitled to assume it is ignored unless it accords with their own agenda. I don't know what goes on in the world of IT and Comms these days but there's an element which just doesn't seem to understand that my information is my information (Facebook being another wretched abuser of this principle)

Have none of these people read "1984"..Don't answer that they probably played computer games instead so we the consumer are as real to them as Lara Croft.  I don't want to change from email classic and no amount of irritating, intrusive bullying will make me do it. Shame on you for treating your customers in such a high handed manner. (Yes I am cross aren't I)

0 Ratings