Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
guillem
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Keeping BT email address after cancelling BT Broadband

Go to solution

Hi,

I have recently cancelled my BT Broadband service (due to a move abroad) but would like to continue using my BT email service (currently an address @btinternet.com, still on BT Yahoo Mail).

This page states clearly that the email service can be retained as long as I keep using it:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13140/~/what-happens-to-my-bt-internet-email-account-...

However, the cancellation e-mail I received from BT is also very clear about the e-mail service being lost unless I sign up for BT Premium Mail:

"

• FREE BT email - you'll be able to use your BT email for 30 days after 20 Aug 2014, but then we'll close the account and permanently delete your emails, contacts, calendar and notes. If you'd like to keep your BT email account, you can sign up to BT Premium Mail for just £1.60 a month (which you'll need to do before we close your account). With BT Premium Mail you can keep using your @btinternet or @btopenworld email accounts no matter who provides your broadband. Find out more at bt.com/keepmyemail

"

Could one of the BT Mods please confirm that the email account will remain active and won't be deleted?

Thanks,

Guillem

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Keeping BT email address after cancelling BT Broadband

Go to solution

Hi guillem,

I'm sorry about any confusion around the cancellation of your BT broadband. Your email will continue to work for 30 days after you've cancelled your broadband however if you wish to continue using your @btinternet.com email address after this time you will need to subscribe to the premium mail service.

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
guillem
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Neil,

Thanks for the quick reply. So, from what you are saying, the information that appears on the web page that I referred to is not entirely correct?

Regards,

Guillem

0 Ratings
annegray01
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution
My friend moved abroad years ago and still uses her BT address as do many others i know at no cost
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

With the move from yahoo to BT MAIL many accounts are being deleted unless you have subscribed to premium service

you don't have long to decide as once deleted it is gone. Maybe subscribe for couple of months while you move everything to another address like gmail or live mail then cancel

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

I think the page that you linked to pre-dates the start of the migration from BTYahoo to BTMail so may not be totally accurate. 

My understanding is that your BT emal address will continue to work but you will get no support if there is a problem and BT can delete it at any time without warning.

I would imagine that it will also not be migrated to BTMail and will eventually be deleted by Yahoo once all the BT addresses are migrated.

If you are not prepared to pay for the premium email service, I personally would move to a non ISP email service, such as gmail, Outlook.com or Yahoo to be on the safe side and by doing so you do not need to consider what any ISP you may be with will do with your email account if you decide to move ISP in the future.

0 Ratings
Dblox
Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

I'm in the same position. Would happily keep my btinternet.com address as i have had it for years. Don't particulalry want the irritation of another Direct Debit ....... especially when at £1.60 per month it probably costs BT to bill it!

I know this may be asking a lot of BT but I really would appreciate a DEFNINITIVE statement. As ever, ambiguity abounds ....... pretty much in every department ....... exactly why I am giving up!

However, I am still a customer so would like an answer please.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

I think you should probably treat NeilO's reply in post 2 as definitive.

Hopefully the irritation of another direct debit will be less than the irritation you'll experience changing your email address with all that entails.......

0 Ratings
kmcarthy
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution
hi Neil
Can you do the same if you are a BT Yahoo email user ? ie register for Premium email, and keep the email account as is ?

Second question. In my parents MyBT account panel, there is no icon in the extra's section to register and apply for Premium email ? So how does one request it ? (btw. they are moving off BT Broadband)

Kind regards, Kevin
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

Hi kmcarthy,

Welcome and thanks for posting. What is BT Premium Mail and how can I get it? should give you the answers.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings