Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SpottyDog
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

Leaving BT

Go to solution

If I decide to leave BT and lose BT Mail will I lose all the folders and emails that are in my email client Thunderbird or do they remain visible there.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Leaving BT

Go to solution

If you have T'bird set up as a POP3 account it will have downloaded all your emails onto your computer so they will be stored on your computer and you will not lose them.

If you have set T'bird up as an IMAP account, the emails and folders are not stored on your computer unless you have specifically set T'bird to store them there. They are stored on the BT servers which means you will lose them.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/59666/~/what-happens-to-my-email-address-when-my-bt-b...

If you are using Thunderbird, then I suggest you archive all of your mail folders, you can then inport them to another account if you want to.

If you do not do that, when your account is deleted, and Thunderbird tries to sync to it, you may lose the messages if its an IMAP account.

The easiest option is to setup a free Gmail account, then simply copy the folders over from your BT email account.

0 Ratings
SpottyDog
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks gg30340 & Keith

Thank you for those replys, I'm not certain I'm leaving yet it will depend on the deal I get, I am just trying to cover all the pit falls but now you have given me some options.  Thunderbird is setup as IMAP but I also have a Gmail account I just don't find Gmail nice to use.

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

If you enable IMAP on Gmail, it works very well on Thunderbird. Labels become folders.

0 Ratings
LOSTit1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoewrote: The easiest option is to setup a free Gmail account, then simply copy the folders over from your BT email account.

Hi Keith

Any chance you can explain further how to copy the folders across into gmail?

Ive got several hundred, but probably thousands of mails I need to copy across from my BTinternet inbox and sent box.However I only need to access them for reference for the next year or so then they can be deleted.

I've had it with BT and am jumping ship. Every time I change the password on my various BT email accounts I get frozen out of my mail and only the BT techies can reset the system.

Many thanks in advance

0 Ratings