cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
viffergb
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Linking Additional Email Account (Address)

I received the email with the unique reference number inviting me to link my BT email address to my BT Broadband account.  This I duly did and received a 'Keeping your BT Email Address' confirmation email as expected.

I've had this email account for quite a few years (from back in the dial-up days, if I remember correctly!) and am obviously pleased that I'm able to keep it.

Very nearly 2 years ago I became a BT Broadband customer, and as part of the joining process I was issued a username (BT email address) and password for my account.  I would also like to have the option to keep this additional email address.  However, I'm not quite clear on how I go about this.  Do I :-

1. Wait to receive a further email invitation sent to this other email address with its own unique reference number and act accordingly?

or

2. Assume it will be automatically linked to my Broadband account, after all, it IS the username used for the account?

or

3. Take some other action?

I read on the original email sent to me :-

"If you want to keep any other BT email addresses, you'll need to link those to your broadband, too. Just go to bt.com/linkemail and complete a form for each email address you want to keep."

But I'm sure I read somewhere that an email would be sent out for each additional email account with its own unique reference number!

If I'm supposed to wait until I receive a further email from BT, what is the cut off date by when I'm supposed to have received it?  Is it the 9th or 16th September?

Any chance of one of the moderators coming back with a definitive answer on this, please?

Yours......confused...Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Jay-Tanna
Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Linking Additional Email Account (Address)

I would say #2 because it is already linked to your Broadband account.  I would be surprised if you ever receive any emails to this account because emails are only sent to people who don't have broadband account with BT or who are not known to BT in any way.  You are already known to them and your broadband login must also be your email address.  At one time they were using telephone number as login (e.g 02081234567@btinternet.com) but this was long time ago in 1996/97 when I fist had a broadband with BT.

Some of us have a real dilemma here and need to sort out the matters pretty quickly.

viffergb
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Yes, like you,  I would go for #2 as it seems to make sense.

Would be nice to get an official answer however, and clear up any confusion.  At least the most important email account for me has been actioned.  I just need to try and sort out the disposable sub-addresses I have under the account which I've been using for quite some time!

0 Ratings
Jay-Tanna
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

You can try 0800 number Mon- Sat

If you need help with these changes you can contact us on 0800 917 9987, Monday to Saturday, 9am to 6pm.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 11

@viffergb wrote:

I received the email with the unique reference number inviting me to link my BT email address to my BT Broadband account.  This I duly did and received a 'Keeping your BT Email Address' confirmation email as expected.

I've had this email account  for quite a few years (from back in the dial-up days, if I remember correctly!) and am obviously pleased that I'm able to keep it.  Call this account B. 

Very nearly 2 years ago I became a BT Broadband customer, and as part of the joining process I was issued a username (BT email address) and password for my account.

Call this account A.

I would also like to have the option to keep this additional email address.  However, I'm not quite clear on how I go about this.  Do I :-

1. Wait to receive a further email invitation sent to this other email address with its own unique reference number and act accordingly?

or

2. Assume it will be automatically linked to my Broadband account, after all, it IS the username used for the account?

or

3. Take some other action?

I read on the original email sent to me :-

"If you want to keep any other BT email addresses, you'll need to link those to your broadband, too. Just go to bt.com/linkemail and complete a form for each email address you want to keep."

But I'm sure I read somewhere that an email would be sent out for each additional email account with its own unique reference number!

If I'm supposed to wait until I receive a further email from BT, what is the cut off date by when I'm supposed to have received it?  Is it the 9th or 16th September?

Any chance of one of the moderators coming back with a definitive answer on this, please?

Yours......confused...Smiley Frustrated

If you login to email account A you should find that account B is now listed as a sub account.

The linking process is just carrying out that process perhaps with other changes that we do not know about.

The email is just catering for other situations eg if account B had sub accounts ( not disposable address's)  these need to be linked as subaccounts of A also.

viffergb
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

@vofsanity2 wrote:

@viffergb wrote:

I've had this email account  for quite a few years (from back in the dial-up days, if I remember correctly!) and am obviously pleased that I'm able to keep it.  Call this account B. 

Very nearly 2 years ago I became a BT Broadband customer, and as part of the joining process I was issued a username (BT email address) and password for my account.

Call this account A.

If you login to email account A you should find that account B is now listed as a sub account.

The linking process is just carrying out that process perhaps with other changes that we do not know about.

The email is just catering for other situations eg if account B had sub accounts ( not disposable address's)  these need to be linked as subaccounts of A also.

Just gave that a try and no sub accounts listed under account A.  Tried same on account B just to check, but none there either.

However, I would say that although I've received the confirmation email response from BT ('Keeping your BT Email Address')  about my initial submitted request to have account B linked, it does say, and I quote :-

"Otherwise, you don't need to do anything else. You can just carry on using your email account as normal while we make the change. We'll send you and email to let you know when we're done or if we have any problems linking your accounts."

I'm still waiting to receive that email, so I assume it's in a queue along with many others.

Again, should I wait until 9th or 16th September to receive the email, and if not, then start to worry?

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

@viffergb wrote:

Just gave that a try and no sub accounts listed under account A.  Tried same on account B just to check, but none there either.

However, I would say that although I've received the confirmation email response from BT ('Keeping your BT Email Address')  about my initial submitted request to have account B linked, it does say, and I quote :-

"Otherwise, you don't need to do anything else. You can just carry on using your email account as normal while we make the change. We'll send you and email to let you know when we're done or if we have any problems linking your accounts."

I'm still waiting to receive that email, so I assume it's in a queue along with many others.

Again, should I wait until 9th or 16th September to receive the email, and if not, then start to worry?

I had not received an email regarding my Talk21 account so decided to take matters into my own hands.

I was eventually told to ring 0800 633 5335 option 2 and after a long wait around 45 minutes a very helpful lady transferred my account in less than 5 minutes.  I did check and it had been done. The email with the code asking me to transfer arrived the day after !!

Because of the way BT have handled this I would expect their system to go into meltdown unless they do something sensible like extending the 16th September deadline. Warren Buckley has indicated they will not do this.

Personally I would set a deadline before the bank holiday (at least 22nd August) and if the account had not been linked by then phone the above number as early as possible in the day.

viffergb
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Before taking your advice about giving BT a call, just wondered what you thought about the following observations....

When in the Sub Accounts section under 'My Account and Billing' in account A, what's to stop me from adding account B as opposed to BT doing it?  I haven't actually tried doing this, so there might well be a point at which it won't let me do it, mind you.

I've also noticed that when in the same section of 'My Account and Billing' in account B, the product is 'BT Yahoo! Pay-as-you-go', which shows how long I've had that email address!  Just wondered if because of this, it might prove a problem to link it as a Sub Account under account A for whatever reason?

0 Ratings
viffergb
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

@viffergb wrote:

Before taking your advice about giving BT a call, just wondered what you thought about the following observations....

When in the Sub Accounts section under 'My Account and Billing' in account A, what's to stop me from adding account B as opposed to BT doing it?  I haven't actually tried doing this, so there might well be a point at which it won't let me do it, mind you.

On reflection, I think I can see that this won't work as I'll be told that the email address is already in use, and that's why BT have to do the linking. 

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 11

@viffergb wrote:

@viffergb wrote:

On reflection, I think I can see that this won't work as I'll be told that the email address is already in use, and that's why BT have to do the linking. 

I think you are correct on this. Also given the amount of accounts that need this done, this is why I think  their system will go into meltdown even if it does take less than  5 minutes per account. 

0 Ratings