cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 175

Links in emails not opening in new browser tabs

Go to solution

Hi,

I know this sounds like a browser issue but please bear with me.

On my PC I only access my BT emails via webmail, and that's where I have this issue.

Today I have noticed that if I click a link in an email, the link opens in the same browser tab as my webmail. This has never happened before. Usually a new tab opens, which I then close when I've done with it (which might not be until I've checked more emails). More than once today I've inadvertently closed my webmail window when I just wanted to close the link, moreover I can't get back to my emails without leaving the link I opened. 

This is happening in more than one browser - I usually use Chrome but have tried it in Edge too, in case I'd accidentally changed something in Chrome.

Please note that other websites usually don't open links in new tabs, they still are not (in either browser), and that's how I want it to stay.

Has anyone else noticed this problem and can anyone tell me how to fix it, please?

TIA for any help or advice,

Sue

174 REPLIES 174
Message 2 of 175

Re: Links in emails not opening in new browser tabs

Go to solution

Its not a browser issue, websites can be configured to either open links in a new tab or the same tab.

Try middle button clicking the link, that should force a new tab.

Message 3 of 175

Go to solution

So it's down to a change in the BT website? Why would they do this??

My middle button doesn't click, I use it for scrolling?  I can right click and select the option, but that's twice the effort, as well as being unfamiliar. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 175

Go to solution
... actually at least three times the effort as then also have to navigate to the new tab ...
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 175

Go to solution

I don't recall links in BTMail opening in new tabs however if you want a work around you should right click on the link and you will be offered a drop down menu where you can select to open the link in a new tab.

EDIT: Post crossed with above posts. 

Gosh I never thought of right clicking and selecting a menu as a lot of effort but I suppose we are all different!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 175

Go to solution

@Sue036 wrote:

So it's down to a change in the BT website? Why would they do this??

Do you need to ask!! This is BT email designed to frustrate the customer as much as they can.

My middle button doesn't click, I use it for scrolling?  I can right click and select the option, but that's twice the effort, as well as being unfamiliar. 

Does the scroll wheel not click as well as scroll, most mice do.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 175

Go to solution
I'm getting sooo tired of BT email tbh, but the effort to move to another address is MASSIVE.
No, my mouse scroll wheel doesn't click as well (it's a Logitech M185).
*sigh*
*goes to eat dinner*
Message 8 of 175

Go to solution

Well my Logitech  M185 does 😄

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 175

Go to solution
It get dozens of emails every day where I just need to click a link to take an action or review some info and then I'm done, close tab, delete email. So now I need to right click the link, select an option, look for the new tab in my browser, select it, take an action or review some info, close the tab, go back to my email tab, find the email again and delete it. I only have one life, haha!
Message 10 of 175

Go to solution
Oh, that's interesting? Will investigate this further later!