cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 175

Re: Links in emails not opening in new browser tabs

Go to solution

@licquoricewrote:

@Stephen5000  @Sue036 Interesting. I've just held my nose and tested opening a link in webmail and it opens in a new tab with a single left click for me. Webmail version 2.27.1 in Firefox.

Now, that is odd. I have the exact same email version, 2.27.1, and FireFox 103.0.2. Wonder why it's misbehaving for some, and not all? Did you try it with the BT email, and the link, 'see this message in the community'?

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 175

Go to solution

Because I don't keep any mail on the server (I don't trust them with it), I just sent a test message from a Gmail account with a link in it.

Message 23 of 175

Go to solution

@licquoricewrote:

Because I don't keep any mail on the server (I don't trust them with it), I just sent a test message from a Gmail account with a link in it.

Interesting, I just did the same test (sent an email to BT using a gmail account), and the link opened in the same tab as my email. Obviously, must be something else at work with me, I sure wish I knew what...

mmm... just noticed something odd. In my taskbar, on hovering over the FireFox icon, I now see all my tabs listed separately, they use to be just the one 'window', something definitely not right!

EDIT - now fixed the 'preview' issue, original issue still remains LOL

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 175

Go to solution

Hi Sue036, I have noticed this just recently running BT webmail in Chrome. I get a daily newsletter and left clicking on an item used to open it in a new window. Now it replaces my webmail with the new site. This has been changed in the last 2 or 3days. My mouse has left and right buttons plus a central wheel. Clicking the line with the central wheel does indeed open it in a new window as one of your replies stated.

Why has BT done this? It does not make any sense.

Message 25 of 175

Go to solution

@MT839wrote:

Why has BT done this? It does not make any sense.

I'm not sure, 'sense' has anything to do with it. I'm guessing that BT did something very minor, not worthy of a 'version' update that they thought would be innocuous, but for some of us, has introduced a 'fault' where none existed before. Hopefully, they can just quietly roll back whatever they have done so life returns to normal!

The clicking CTRL, key and pressing the click wheel, touchpad etc is a red herring, it doesn't work...

Message 26 of 175

Go to solution

Where can I find my BT mail version number, please? I know it likely doesn't matter as it will be the same as everyone else's, but it is annoying me that I cannot find it!

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 175

Go to solution

Its in your browser address bar when logged in to webmail.

Message 28 of 175

Go to solution

So it is! Silly me.

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 175

Go to solution

@Sue036 @Stephen5000  Thanks for your posts. I came to this community because of this exact issue, which emerged a couple of days ago, and which is also causing immense frustration. I accept there is a work around, but agree that it is tedious and time-consuming, especially when for 20+ years it has not been necessary.

Like you,  my preference is to access mail in the web browser rather than a client, and I don't think I should have to justify that choice.

I notice that in one your posts @Sue036 you refer to something being interesting and worth investigating; was it a possible solution?

I just did a quick test, and of ten links, only one opened in a new (adjacent) tab, and that was confirmation of an order from Amazon. There was nothing apparently different about the link, and other more generic links in the same email, still opened in the email tab. *sigh*

Message 30 of 175

Go to solution

@ARwrote:

I just did a quick test, and of ten links, only one opened in a new (adjacent) tab, and that was confirmation of an order from Amazon. There was nothing apparently different about the link, and other more generic links in the same email, still opened in the email tab. *sigh*

I too have a strange 'mix', in that my weekly Lidl email, if I click on the Lidl logo in the email, it opens a new tab, but if I click directly on a specific 'offer', it uses the same email tab. On examining the actual link, both appear to be a simple 'https://...' so no obvious difference why the behaviour should be different! It is slightly encouraging though that it's not just me LOL