cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Locked Out of Business Email Account and Need to Change Password

Don't know what is happening here BUT our IPhones could not access any emails from our business account yesterday...thought we had been hacked so managed to change the password for the email account in question. 

NOW I can access my emails on the home computer all fine but every time I go into this account to change the password to a stronger one it says I have been 'locked' out !  I can unlock the account but when I go to change my password (which allows me to currently access the account) it says this is the wrong current password so I cannot change anything and then it locks me out again ........ I am going around in circles.  In the meantime our phones can't access anything remotely which is a pain ....HELP!!??

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Locked Out of Business Email Account and Need to Change Password

If you are a business account holder you will need to post on the BT Business forum where somebody should be able to help you. 

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

@Aldams 

Try posting here instead  https://business.forums.bt.com/

Thanks

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

@gg30340  Thanks but I am not a business account holder this email is just used for all my business contacts/jobs coming in.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

@Aldams wrote:

@gg30340  Thanks but I am not a business account holder this email is just used for all my business contacts/jobs coming in.

Then you are breaking the T&Cs for your residential account which does not allow business usage.

I assume that you are a current BT Broadband customer?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

I am pretty sure that the T&C Police will not come after you but you would be better not using a residential email system if your business relies on it. They tend to have a very poor Service Level Agreement where as a business class email account will have a better SLA should anything go wrong.

As regards your problem.

It is a BT server problem which has been going on for some time and the best advice when it happens is to do nothing, especially do not change passwords or delete the account from your phone as that can cause more problems than it solves.

The first thing to do when it happens is check to see if you can log on to your email account via a web browser. If you can there is obviously nothing wrong with your password or account hence the advice to do nothing.

If the problem did not resolve its self after a day or two or in your instance where you have changed the password  you should stop your iPhone and any other devices from checking for email. The easiest way of doing that is to turn them off if you still have the account on your device. If you have deleted the account and it is no longer on your device do not try and add it at this time.

Once you have done that, change your email password again and check that you can access your email via webmail (on a browser).

If that works you should wait at least an hour and then add the new password to your iPhone and again check it works. If it does then move onto the next device if you have one.

If the above does not resolve the problem, when you change your BT password on an iPhone/iPad/Apple device it may only change for INCOMING mail.

To change the outgoing mail password you have to go into Settings; then scroll down to Passwords & Accounts or on older devices Mail, Contacts, Calendars. From there select the BT email account and select the account where it is listed under IMAP.

You will find the details for the account and can change the password for the Incoming server there, the outgoing mail server only shows SMTP and mail.btinternet.com You have to tap on that Primary Server in order to find where the Outgoing password is hidden so you can update it.

When setting up the email account on your device you are best to set it up manually, using "other" and ensure that you are using the correct settings as per this link.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

EMAIL Address Hacked

Email address was hacked on Friday they were asking people for money to be sent and pretending to be me.

I have managed to change my password on this email account but I am now locked out and cannot do anything else.  #worried

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

Re: EMAIL Address Hacked

@Aldamswrote:

Email address was hacked on Friday they were asking people for money to be sent and pretending to be me.

I have managed to change my password on this email account but I am now locked out and cannot do anything else.  #worried

Why do you think your email was hacked on Friday? Did simply some of your recipients receive an email pretending to be you, but the "reply-to" email address was not actually yours?

When you say you are locked out, how are you trying to login to email? If it's an app/client, did you wait at least 20 minutes to an hour or more before trying to access emails after changing password?

Can you access via webmail :-

https://www.bt.com/mail

if so - check any forwarding option to make sure that's not set to a scammer's email address. If you need help on how to check the forwarding, pop back.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Re: EMAIL Address Hacked

Hi @Andy_N 

I could not gain access to the email account as from 12pm on Friday just thought it was BT being slow then thought it was weird that by the evening I still couldn't access anything.  Emails were sent out at 12.54pm onwards and the reply to email was mine they were using.

Had a nightmare changing the email as it kept saying new password not recognised and locking that email account...have now hopefully sorted this and all phones and computer are running ok.

Have had a look but cannot find anything in settings on the email account about a forwarding email address.....Can you advise please?

Thank you

0 Ratings