Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MacBraveheart
Aspiring Contributor
Message 481 of 490

Re: Lost access to primary email account following BTID/Mail merge

Roboman wrote:

....This is a recurring problem and solutions given to me by BT have only worked for limited period and now are no longer effective.   I try signing in via Yahho.com or Yahoo mail and this now leads to the BT sign-in....

"worked for a limited period" is about right-  for me two weeks, once even a whole month!  😮

Interestingly I also find that the sign in is the "BT" one...  Perhaps they've FINALLY made good on their promise to "repatriate" BT Yahoo into BT email from three years ago?!

Roboman wrote:

...After many, many years I am now seriously thinking of bitting the bullet and finding a new provider and to change my emails etc....

You're not alone.  This is what I was told by a "level 2" in email:

**Edited by Mod** 

Allegedly this is a "security" feature?

Also-  I did NOT make a "formal complaint" about getting "locked out after sometime".  I complained that I was required to reset the password constantly for NO reason (allegedly there was suspicious activity and I was to check all my other devices "probably" using an outdated password when I only HAVE one device and it OBVIOUSLY uses the correct one until I reset it) and that resetting it didn't work in that the error continued and I kept having to reset it.

Well...  Until I worked out (without their help) that if I leave it for 12 hours and DON'T change it-  it will sort itself.

The problem is clearly at their end, and sadly there is no permanent solution:

Roboman wrote:

....Can someone tell me what is going on and if there is a permanent solution....

😞

I WISH I could help.

I have encountered this twice in the past two days and it doesn't matter how many "Level 2s" I speak to-  nothing ever changes.

There has been no permanent "fix" for this error in two years (I was told over a year ago that whatever the "Level 2" did-  it was permament and I should NEVER face this again) and it is just a matter of when I decide that another provider is cheaper/more reliable.  Hopefully soon, as I have been looking at non-landline broadband due to the stoopid speeds of 0.9 I get at best with BT despite paying the same as everyone else.  But that is a different story!

Jeffbeardwell
Beginner
Message 482 of 490

I have also lost access to my primary email, can someone help me please.

Thanks

0 Ratings
spiritusuk
Beginner
Message 483 of 490

and me too.

I'm glad I stumbled across this forum and topic as I mistakenly believed that I was the only one having to constantly change my password every month or two because BT didn't like it any longer.

I find that this week I am stuck in an endless loop of BT's website telling me that either I have been locked out (and to reset my password) or that my BT ID has been suspended.

The problem wouldn't be SO frustrating if BT actually provided proper support for their customers (yes, I pay for my BT email service).

Live chat is useless and the advisors take so long to reply to each answer that your blood pressure takes a hit every time you speak to them.

There is no obvious phone number on the BT website to ring. It's almost as if BT have designed their website in such a way as to hide the option to ring them directly.

I'm at the end of my tether with BT email at the moment

0 Ratings
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 484 of 490

@spiritusuk wrote:

and me too.

I'm glad I stumbled across this forum and topic as I mistakenly believed that I was the only one having to constantly change my password every month or two because BT didn't like it any longer.

I find that this week I am stuck in an endless loop of BT's website telling me that either I have been locked out (and to reset my password) or that my BT ID has been suspended.

The problem wouldn't be SO frustrating if BT actually provided proper support for their customers (yes, I pay for my BT email service).

Live chat is useless and the advisors take so long to reply to each answer that your blood pressure takes a hit every time you speak to them.

There is no obvious phone number on the BT website to ring. It's almost as if BT have designed their website in such a way as to hide the option to ring them directly.

I'm at the end of my tether with BT email at the moment

Hi,

Being suspended or locked out is normal for when you either enter the wrong password many times or they block it for your protection if they detect any unusual activity.

There is confusion between email and BTID - Your BTID and email could be the same username but with different passwords. This could cause a lockout as you are trying to login to your btid with the correct username but wrong password.

Simplest route for you is to ring the helpdesk and ask them to raise a case to make your BTID and the email address the same with 1 strong password and set a 2nd email and phone number as an alternative way to reset your password.

Do keep me posted on how you get on as it took me a while to get around my password issues and BTID.

0 Ratings
Gubivd
Message 485 of 490

Re: Locked out of bt email - stuck in a loop

I use my iPhone to access my email account, tonight my phone couldn't access my account saying "either User name or password are incorrect
I tried accessing my account via the BT Yahoo web page, and got the "suspicious activity" message. I followed the recommendations and changed my password before doing so I deleted my iPhone synced account. I am still unable to access my account. I am on holiday and don't have access to my laptop only. I need to get access. Anyone got any ideas?
0 Ratings
Gubivd
Message 486 of 490

Well there have been developments!
First thing this morning I was able to log in to my email via the web page. During last nights drama BT ask you not to try to login for at least two minutes. Should they be changing that to s few hours?
I reinstalled the mail account to my iPhone, used the new password for both the incoming and outgoing servers, my inbox filled up nicely! I then tried to send an email from my phone, I then got an error message saying "either the user name or password is incorrect"!
Is this a BOHICA event?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 487 of 490

See this link and in particular the last a part about Apple devces. You need to go into the settings for the outgoing server and change the password there to your new one.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9962/~/i-need-help-setting-up-my-bt-email

0 Ratings
noelp
Message 488 of 490

Can you please add me to the list of affected users.

if it helps, email was working fine until the computer went in to PC World for an unrelated fault.  The machine was reset to factory settings and we haven't been able to get BT Email since.  Outlook email is working fine

0 Ratings
bengodfrey
Beginner
Message 489 of 490

Think this issue is also affecting me.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 490 of 490

@bengodfrey wrote:

Think this issue is also affecting me.

I see you have started your own thread. Please just use that and don't double post because it just ends up with either duplication of answers or answers to your problem spread over two threads.

0 Ratings