cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Locked out of emails, awaiting letter by post

Hi there,

My dad has recently been locked out of his BTinternet email account. Having spoken to someone for a long time on the phone, he's been told that he needs to wait for a letter by post in order to unlock his account with a code / pin. This feels like an incredibly dated method of re-setting someone's email account; whereas with most other providers, it would be a series of codes delivered by text to a mobile phone, or a back up email.

Is there any other method for him to retrieve access to his emails? He uses these for work, and this is going to cause a lot of delays and inconvenience, and is generally proving to be a frustrating process. Which is disappointing as he's been using BT emails for years, and this has been the first big hiccup.

Please can someone advise if there's another way of doing this?

Thanks,

Rose

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Locked out of emails, awaiting letter by post

@Rosie86 

Provided he has a mobile number registered against his profile on MyBT, I would have expected just a text with the code.

I assume he is locked out due to suspicious activity on the email account?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Did he try using the "forgot password" link on the BT email log on page.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Thanks - yes I believe he did try following this link, but there were problems with the security questions. Apparently this has been a bit of an issue generally at the moment though (looking at some other posts on this topic), with the security question function not working properly and rendering false lock outs.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Thanks for this, and yes I believe it's due to suspicious activity.

I'll double check but I don't think BT have his mobile number as linked to the account - which in itself seems odd, but I think it was set up so long ago that it didn't get synced up as the registered user mobile number. But even so, it feels like there must be a way to action something sooner than by post...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Good luck with this, I have been having similar problems for a week now, not had the 'letter' promise though, but nothing works, so hope you get this sorted out, I don't hold out any hopes for myself.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 9

Hi @Rosie86,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for taking the time to post.

I'm sorry to hear that your dad has been locked out of his emails.

We normally send a validation code to the customers mobile number via SMS and the sending of the letter is the last option.

I've sent you a Private Message with details on how you can get in contact with the mod team so that we can take a look into this for you.

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Thanks for the sympathy! Will keep you posted - really hoping it'll get resolved.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Many thanks Matt, and for your private message. Will consult my dad on the finer details and let you know.

0 Ratings