cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Log-in anomalies on BTYahoo

(Still not migrated)

I had a warning message on my Samsing Note 10.1 email client saying password not recognised, so tried Webmail from that machine and got the old "multiple access attempts - change your password" message (oh yes, heard that one before).

So thought I'd check on the desktop (Win 7, Thunderbird) - no problem logging into webmail, and no such warning message. And T'bird works in its usual somewhat fitful way (randomly slow to send, randomly having trouble Copying to Sent folder - will that ever get resolved? - random accounts failing to have password accepted - will that ever get resolved?.....). So it looks like it is another false one, such as we have experienced so many times before. (I just change the password, then immediately change it back).

Anyway I thought I'd check the log in records at the usual

https://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.intl=us&.src=ymbr&.partner=&.pd=&.done=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.login...

and all I get is two entries - one for today, and one for May 17. Normally there is a a long list of the last dozen or so. Has something changed that I have missed? I've had no message from BT about this.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Log-in anomalies on BTYahoo

Yahoo mail has been flaky for years.  I don't know if it will ever be fixed, or if we will one day all be migrated to BTMail.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Depressing really, frying pan/fire. Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

@FloFosterJenkins wrote:

(Still not migrated)

I had a warning message on my Samsing Note 10.1 email client saying password not recognised, so tried Webmail from that machine and got the old "multiple access attempts - change your password" message (oh yes, heard that one before).

So thought I'd check on the desktop (Win 7, Thunderbird) - no problem logging into webmail, and no such warning message. And T'bird works in its usual somewhat fitful way (randomly slow to send, randomly having trouble Copying to Sent folder - will that ever get resolved? - random accounts failing to have password accepted - will that ever get resolved?.....). So it looks like it is another false one, such as we have experienced so many times before. (I just change the password, then immediately change it back).

Anyway I thought I'd check the log in records at the usual

https://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.intl=us&.src=ymbr&.partner=&.pd=&.done=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.login...

and all I get is two entries - one for today, and one for May 17. Normally there is a a long list of the last dozen or so. Has something changed that I have missed? I've had no message from BT about this.

I have recently being doing some testing on IMAP.  I have discovered that the system appears to  "connect"  separately to each folder in the account.  Frequently some of the folders fail to connect due to a timeout. 

The above can be demonstrated.

Now often timeouts are  flagged as "Password not recognised" or similar message.

So I speculate that the "multiple access attempts" is the failing to connect to individual folders and the "change your password" message is because the system as a result thinks that it is a hacker trying to access your account with incorrect passwords.

The Login History check is nothing to do with BT and is purely a Yahoo facility that for some reason BT failed to adopt.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Interesting. Presumably therefore the more IMAP folders one has the higher the likelihood of timeout. So a temporary fix could be to revert to POP3.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

@licquorice wrote:

Interesting. Presumably therefore the more IMAP folders one has the higher the likelihood of timeout. So a temporary fix could be to revert to POP3.

What about people who do not use an email client but still get the "change password" when they only use webmail on one device?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

The OP of this thread kinda blows the IMAP theory out of the water or at least the "temporary fix" suggestion. 

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Daily-Password-Problems/td-p/1488051

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Certainly does.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Thanks for the replies. Samsung Notepad is now logging in to webmail OK.

Meanwhile the usual desktop Win7 Thunderbird IMAP glitches continue in the same tedious irritating way, as they have for months and months.

(OE using POP3 on an older XP system works OK)

0 Ratings