cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Terso
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Login Issues (OS Mail)

Hi all. I am having a very irritating problem for the last 24 hrs which I would like to resolve.

So, BT has recently transferred their email host site away from Yahoo. This change did not cause problems with my computer emails, but I can no longer seem to connect my bt emails address to my phone email app. I’m expecting some really urgent emails at the moment, so this is particularly stressful.

I use OS Mail on my phone. I followed BTs instructions to reconnect my email address to my OS Mail account, but keep being told that my username or password are wrong (which they aren’t).

Looking at the online help, BT says:

‘If you're using a mobile device, tablet or computer program and you're getting password errors, you should try logging into your BT Email account at www.bt.com. If you can see your webmail OK, then it's likely to be a problem with the way your email program is set up.’

Following this, I looked on the Apple support page, to see what they had to say. According to them, it looked like I had been doing everything correctly, and if I had any problems after correctly putting in my username and password, then the fault laid with BT.

I’ve had a quick look at the BT community posts. It sounds like some people had similar problems to me and the advice that worked for them was:

• Turn your phone on-and-off, then try again
  • Wait at least half an hour, max 24 hrs and try again.

I’ve tried both of these things. Neither have worked. I’m getting increasingly frustrated. I hope a solution can be found soon. Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Login Issues (OS Mail)

It is probably a BT server problem. 

The first thing to do when it happens is check to see if you can log on to your email account via a web browser. If you can there is obviously nothing wrong with your password or account hence the advice to do nothing.

If the problem did not resolve its self after a day or two you should stop your iPhone and any other devices from checking for email. The easiest way of doing that is to turn them off if you still have the account on your device or add a couple of characters to the email address so that it is not checking your account. If you have deleted the account and it is no longer on your device do not try and add it at this time.

Once you have done that, change your email password and check that you can access your email via webmail (on a browser).

If that works you should wait at least an hour to allow the servers to sync and then add the new password to your iPhone, remembering to remove any characters you may have added and again check it works. If it does then move onto the next device if you have one.

When entering the settings, make sure that in the Outgoing server you do not use the "use same as incoming" for the email address and password. Enter them manually.

If the above does not resolve the problem, when you change your BT password on an iPhone/iPad/Apple device it may only change for INCOMING mail.

To change the outgoing mail password you have to go into Settings; then scroll down to Passwords & Accounts or on older devices Mail, Contacts, Calendars. From there select the BT email account and select the account where it is listed under IMAP.

You will find the details for the account and can change the password for the Incoming server there, the outgoing mail server only shows SMTP and mail.btinternet.com You have to tap on that Primary Server in order to find where the Outgoing password is hidden so you can update it.

When setting up the email account on your device you are best to set it up manually, using "other" and ensure that you are using the correct settings as per this link.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin...

0 Ratings
Terso
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

This problem is still not fixed for me. Even though I feel like I followed your instructions 2-3 times in the last day. 😞

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Are you a BT Broadband customer and was the email account set up within that broadband account or are you paying for your email through a BT Premium Email account?

0 Ratings
Terso
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

So we are bt broadband customers, but the principle account holder is my father, not me.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Is the email account "gifted" to you in that you have your own BTID and logon to your own MyBT or is it still managed by your father's MyBT?

See link about gifting an email account.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/account-set-up/how-do-i-create-and-activate-a-new...

If it was not "gifted" to you can you get your father to log onto his MyBT and go to "Your Products" > Email manage and check to see if the account is showing as active and if there are any status messages regarding it.

If it was gifted to you can you log onto your MyBT and check the email account and ensure that you have it set as your favourite in the "see options" box and also check to see what its status is.  

0 Ratings
Terso
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

So, it wasn’t gifted to me. My father checked my email status as you suggested, and it said it was active with no other status messages associated with it.

I keep checking if the email issue fixes itself, but I still can’t get it to work
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

I doubt there is anything else that forum users can do to help so I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are very busy at present so it can take up to 48 hours for them to contact you. They will do this by posting on this thread.

0 Ratings