cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elinjons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Login problems

I have been having a problem with my BT email for at least two years now, and have posted before, but still no solution. About two or three times a week  I get an error message telling me that my password needs to be changed. (That is about 100 times a year!) To get my mail I now have to open my browser,  log into the BT startpage and change my password there. This is not easy, the BT startpage is a heavy page, full of flickering ads and rolling news items - the  kind of page that I usually try to avoid. 

After changing the password I can usually log in again, but sometimes it takes a few tries. I know my settings are correct.

I use an email app on my Android phone and tablet, but on the laptop I use Windows 8.1 email. 

I would be VERY grateful for help. 

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 20

Re: Login problems

It is likely you are suffering from the problem of multiple device access to your email account.  You need to ensure that if you are accessing your email by several devices and methods that they do not conflict. 

I recommend that you follow the advice below.

1. Always logout of your email account immediately after using it.

2. Do not use IMAP in a client always POP3 with the flag set to leave messages on the server.

3. Disable Push for emails on all tablets and smart phones.

4. Disable automatic Fetch on all devices so that Send/Receive or equivalent needs to done manually  to download your emails.

5. Only use Webmail when you cannot avoid it, use an email client or App at all times. 

6. It is advisable to set your account to require a password in the shortest time so that if you do fail to logout the system does it for you.  This is 15 minutes for BT Yahoo.

Even if you are not experiencing the erroneous Password problems the above is best practice for Email in any case.

0 Ratings
elinjons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Thank you for your reply. I did what you suggested,  changed the email sync to "manual" on all my gadgets. Last night, however, the problem reoccurred, and I had to change my password to get my mail.  I am so disappointed, as I thought the problem was solved. 

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 20

If you get a message that just indicates incorrect username or password then try just logging in and out of webmail without changing your password.

0 Ratings
elinjons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 20

I had to change my password twice yesterday and already once this morning. I cannot log into webmail or with either the android  or win8 apps, so no logging out and in is possible.  I just get an error message saying "sign-in failed." When trying to log in to the bt mail page on line I get sent right to the "change password" page.   

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

While I have no doubt the previous suggestion/theory was intended to help I as far as I can tell there has been nobody posted back to say that it has stopped the problem.

There are many people, myself included, using multiple devices with a mixture of IMAP, POP with fetch turned on and using webmail and have never had this problem.

It is I believe a problem that has resulted from when the Yahoo email accounts were hacked a while back.

Are you still using BTYahoo or have you been migrated to BTMail. See link if you are not sure.

http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=EmailChecker

Have you used this link to log on

https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform

If you still can not log on try using your old password.

0 Ratings
elinjons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 20

Thank you,  I am still on BT Yahoo. Yes, that is the page address of the bt email log-in form where I go to change my password.  The process is as follows. I check  my email, and get an error message "unable to log on."  I open my browser, go to the bt email log on page, try to log on with my password, and get sent immediately to the "change password" page. I change my password, and can then get my email. Sometimes everything works for a few days, but then I get the error again. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

It is nothing you are doing or can do to stop this so the moderators of the forum have been informed of your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to five working days for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
elinjons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Thank you! 

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 10 of 20

Hi elinjons, 

Thanks for your post. 

I am sorry to hear about the email problems you are having. Please send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile and I will be in touch to help. 

Cheers,

OlgaC 

0 Ratings