cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
cyclonobby
Message 1 of 9

Losing all emails in inbox when upgrading BT Router from old BT router to new BT router

Go to solution

Dear BT Broadband Services,

You have recently provided my mother with a new BT broadband router to replace her old BT broadband router.

After finding the broadband internet connection was not working on the old router at all on sunday probably due to BT changing / updating the account I replaced the router this morning (Monday). The internet works very well and after some previous chat support her emails are being received correctly on the webmail area.

*** However, since the change in router she has lost the remainder of the emails that were in her BT webmail mailbox, some which still needed to be actioned. Her inbox was completely empty after the router changeover. Apparently after to talking to other BT customers this has happened to them too. ***

So my request is; would it be possibly to reinstate the last 2-4 weeks of emails on the email account that are now lost? it is the same email address so should not be a problem. Is it a pop imap problem or a roaming IP problem.

I have full authorisation to act on this on behalf of my mother. Please advise - thank you

Thank you

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Losing all emails in inbox when upgrading BT Router from old BT router to new BT router

Go to solution

The change of router is entirely coincidental and wouldn't cause the loss of emails. If your mother is still on the BTYahoo mail system (you can check by looking for Yahoo branding on the webmail page) you can try following the procedure here http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/54829/c/7339/?s_cid=con_FURL_help/emailrecovery

If that is not successful or your mother is on the BTMail system, post back here.

Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 9

Re: Losing all emails in inbox when upgrading BT Router from old BT router to new BT router

Go to solution

@cyclonobbywrote:

Dear BT Broadband Services,

You have recently provided my mother with a new BT broadband router to replace her old BT broadband router.

After finding the broadband internet connection was not working on the old router at all on sunday probably due to BT changing / updating the account I replaced the router this morning (Monday). The internet works very well and after some previous chat support her emails are being received correctly on the webmail area.

*** However, since the change in router she has lost the remainder of the emails that were in her BT webmail mailbox, some which still needed to be actioned. Her inbox was completely empty after the router changeover. Apparently after to talking to other BT customers this has happened to them too. ***

So my request is; would it be possibly to reinstate the last 2-4 weeks of emails on the email account that are now lost? it is the same email address so should not be a problem. Is it a pop imap problem or a roaming IP problem.

I have full authorisation to act on this on behalf of my mother. Please advise - thank you

Thank you

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear of the problem.

A router change will have no bearing on anything to do with emails, it's simply a connection to the internet.

Did you by any chance use a different device to access the emails to test?

What actual issues were there with the old router? When you replaced it, did you only replace the router and do nothing else apart from maybe check if the connection was working? In essence all that's needed is to see if a browser is working on the existing computer. BT haven't changed or upgraded the account unless you've asked them.

Were BT involved at all in the procedure? What previous chat support to do with emails was it?

How did you hear of the similar problem from other users?

Is the account BTYahoo or BTMail? For BTYahoo in webmail, there is a Yahoo image top left. In this case, see a probable email recovery :-

https://www.bt.com/help/emailrecovery

What do you mean by pop/imap or IP roaming?

The inbox can disappear if the end user accesses email using a device app or client and have not set "Leave messages on server".

As an aside, I hope a response hasn't been made to a potential scammer based on a call or spam email. There are plenty about.

cyclonobby
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
Thank you for the reply. As a reference her email address has always been firstname.lastname@btinternet.com - there is and has never been any reference to yahoo unless @btinternet.com was or is run by Yahoo, which is out of my knowledge area
0 Ratings
cyclonobby
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
My mother's email has always been with the firstname.lastname@btinternet.com email and domain. I have never seen any reference to yahoo over the last 8-10 years. I will check the link you have provided, thank you, and see if anything can be retrieved using this.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Both BTMail and BTYahoo emails use the address xxx@btinternet.

You need to look at the BT logo when you are logged onto her email account and if you see Yahoo any where it means  she is on the BTYahoo email service.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
cyclonobby
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Update: 21.08.2019 - For everybody's reference. The old emails seem to have now populated through into the email outlook inbox now in Windows 10, but not for Windows XP (not really surprising as it is not supported anymore) and still having issues with feeding through to iPad, but this is probably just settings update too, yet to update this.

Basically, the emails seem to have taken time to filter through perhaps because of the router update, the updating of the account or perhaps there were mail server issues happening.

Thanks, everybody for their help and useful inputs.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@cyclonobbywrote:

Update: 21.08.2019 - For everybody's reference. The old emails seem to have now populated through into the email outlook inbox now in Windows 10, but not for Windows XP (not really surprising as it is not supported anymore) and still having issues with feeding through to iPad, but this is probably just settings update too, yet to update this.

Basically, the emails seem to have taken time to filter through perhaps because of the router update, the updating of the account or perhaps there were mail server issues happening.

Thanks, everybody for their help and useful inputs.

Hi again.

Unless you can set some specific router based filtering, it won't be anything to do with a router update, that's simply an interface to the internet (filters will not be set when first delivered, and many are not able to be set). There's no account update unless you've requested it - however the most likely issue was a server presentation.

0 Ratings