Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dlanor54
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Loss of email

Last night I reported that all my Inbox emails have been lost between November 2015 and 7 July 2016. I have been told that nothing can be done but my complaint has been referred to the concern team. I feel it is totally unacceptable that a system that is supposed give me security of data can do this. Can the moderators or anyone advise on this issue?
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Loss of email

Do you have any devices which access your account, or do you just use webmail?

The security of e-mail storage is never guaranteed on a consumer grade system. It always best to keep local copies as well.

Leaving mail in the inbox, is not best practice, as it can easily be deleted by accident.

Have you checked any of the other folders on webmail, to see if they have been put there?

0 Ratings
dlanor54
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

I use Outlook 2016 as a client configured with MAPI. I thought this was recommended as it keeps email in sync. I have have checked all my folders. I have not accidentally dleted these items. I have been archiving after 6 months so that I do have copies. I was under the impression that BT mail did give security.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Its IMAP that keeps mail in sync, not sure about MAPI.

If you are talking about the residential BT mail service, then I would not rely on it for long term security.

BT Business use Microsoft Office 365, which is much more secure.

If you have local copies, then you may be able to copy them back onto BT mail. I use the Thunderbird e-mail client, and I know it can be done with that. Not sure about Outlook.

When did you setup Outlook, was it recently? Does it tie up with the date that you lost your mail on the server?

0 Ratings
dlanor54
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Sorry I meant IMAP. Outlook 365 has been set up for nearly one year and my mail has worked fine until a day ago when this chunk of my Inbox emails went missing. I am not ware that you can keep local copies when using IMAP only when I used to use POP3.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

I would imagine that Outlook 365 would have an offline synchronisation option, where folder contents are retained when you have no Internet connection. This allows you to reply to e-mails while offline, and they will be sent when you go online.

This is certainly the case for Thunderbird, as local copies are kept by default, unless you deselect them.

Thunderbird has an archive facility which can archive e-mails to a local store on your computer.

I am not familiar with Outlook 365, as its intended for business use, I assume you are not a business user, as you are posting on the BT residential forum.

0 Ratings
dlanor54
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

No I am not a business user. As far as I understand it Outlook365 uses pst files with POP3 and this just downloads email and duplicates emails on a PC. Outlook365 with MAPI use OST files which enable offline work. However as soon as you coonect on line synchronisation occurs so if BT Mail has lost emails the client synchronises accordingly. As IMAP is the automatic default option I expected BT Webmail to be reliable.  

0 Ratings