cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Orangedoctor
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Lost contacts

Since the migration to the new system the information from many of my email contacts have been lost. I see this is a problem others have experienced too. 

I access my contacts on webmail only. The name is there but the other fields are empty, no email address or other details. These are contacts I don't use often which is why I have only just noticed this, and it looks like the problem is with the contacts which have been there longest.

I've cleared cookies and history as suggested elsewhere on the forum, and tried another browser. It's not a sync problem, as I don't keep email addresses stored elsewhere. It's not a problem with numbers as there are only 450, well below the 3000 limit.

How can I recover this information please ?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lost contacts

Were all your email contacts entered by you into your Contacts folder or were they only stored in the "auto reply" cache which is done when you receive and reply to an email ?

If they were all entered into and stored in the Contacts folder they should have been migrated when your email account was migrated. If this has not happened, BT should be able to recover them for you.

If they were only contained in your "auto complete" cache, the cache would not have been migrated with your email account.

If they were only in the "auto complete" cache all you can do is manually add the missing contacts to your Contacts list/folder.

0 Ratings
Orangedoctor
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Hi there,

Thanks for replying.

Some of these email addresses date back 15 or 20 years, I really can't recall how they were all first entered into my contacts list. But I do know that just before the migration happened they were definitely available to view in the contacts folder in the form one would expect, name followed by email address, because I had just started to sift through them in preparation for downloading them into Outlook. At that point all the names in the contacts list had an email address associated with them so I assumed this data was safely stored.  I wouldn't have expected to see addresses from the 'auto-cache' listed in the contacts folder in that way. I also happen to have a list of a few old email addresses in a spreadsheet which was downloaded from my BT contacts folder in 2006, including some of the ones that have now vanished, so clearly at that point the addresses were accessible and downloadable from Contacts. I wouldn't have expected to find this information had suddenly vanished because of how it had been gathered some 15 years previously.

Sadly I didn't download the up to date list into Outlook last summer and so now I don't have an alternative record.

I had also imported some addresses from my husband's contacts into mine and those don't appear in my contacts folder at all now, which is annoying but at least he still has that list. And some of the entries in the migrated list are duplicated, so it's all a mess really.

Who should I ask at BT about this?

Thank you!

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

None of the forum members will be able to help you with this but it may be the case that the forum moderators will be able to help. They are very busy at present so it can take up to 48 hours for them to contact you. They will do this by posting on this thread.

0 Ratings
DanielS
Message 5 of 7

Hi @Orangedoctor, Welcome to the Community. I am sorry to...

Hi @Orangedoctor,

Welcome to the Community.

I am sorry to hear about the contacts disappearing. I can't guarantee that I can get them back but this is something that we can have investigated for you. I will be sending you a private message from this account with some info that is needed.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Orangedoctor
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Re: Hi @Orangedoctor, Welcome to the Community. I am sorry to...

Hi Daniel,

I replied to your DM with required info, and then sent a follow up message, but I haven't heard anything back yet.

Have you received my DM? Have you been able to investigate the lost contacts?

Thank you!

0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 7 of 7

Re: Hi @Orangedoctor, Welcome to the Community. I am sorry to...

Hi @Orangedoctor 

I have sent you a private message about this.  Drop me a reply when you get the chance and we'll take it from there.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings