cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 19

Re: Lost emails

I have Outlook 2010 rather than 2016 so might be different.

Go to File > Account settings > Data Files > Add

accountsettings.jpg

datafiles.jpg

0 Ratings
Pearl1
Contributor
Message 12 of 19

That's what I thought thank you. However, have just done an export and have come up against another problem.  It is asking for a password for a previous .pst file and I don't recall entering one before. Can I just create another .pst - will it ask for a password again - which I will of course make a note of this time.

However, I'm just feeling that everything is working against me at present and I don't recall stepping on a frog or anything else that might give me bad luck....

0 Ratings
Pearl1
Contributor
Message 13 of 19

Oh this is just getting worse, have just added a data file as per previous posts. It appears as a folder and it is empty. No emails at all.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 19

Not sure what you are trying to export and why. You just need to search your drive for .PST files. You may need to tick File name Extensions and Hidden files in File Explorer View show/hide. There may be more than one, you can add as many as you wish to Outlook.

0 Ratings
Pearl1
Contributor
Message 15 of 19

Hi there, I've never previously, in over 25 years as a PC user and user of Outlook had to restore a .pst file. Suppose I've been lucky but I wanted to try it out to make sure it was giving me what I needed. I had done periodic email backups but I let Windows tell me where to save them, on the C:\ drive which of course has gone. I did a search of my PC (which wasn't working since my PC was reinstalled with Windows 10, but seems to be working now - that was frustrating!) and found some .pst files including the one I was trying to import into Outlook earlier which was, for some reason empty - only showed as 265KB. I have tried another one that does have content (showing as 53,585KB from Nov 11 (from an old PC) and this does indeed show emails, contacts and calendar entries, which is what I was trying to establish worked.

I also have a program to view .pst files now, Kernel Outlook PST Viewer, so I can see what is in the file before I add it to Outlook. In Kernel, the one I tried earlier today that was empty in Outlook was indeed empty in Kernel. Why that was I do not know.

I do have another PC that I replaced with my current one late 2016, so I can recover some contacts and details from emails on that one, at least that will save me from having to do a complete set up of my contacts from scratch. 

So I will now be saving my emails - not to the C:\ drive, on an external drive so that I don't lose them again. I can check that the content is there as well.

I did have a call open with BT support stated 18/06/19 and only today can they tell me that they cannot recover any emails over 7 days. Took a while for them to tell me that didn't it eh! I am not inspired with confidence that as IMAP account will synchronise properly. The support person said that I should use an IMAP instead of a POP3 account. I was always happy with my POP3 account, not so impressed with the IMAP one and from what I've read it isn't such a good idea anyway.

I will be trying again to create a POP3 account, my first attempt was fraught with obstacles from Windows 10, that only seems to want to use Windows Mail, still at least I'm a bit more clued up now and can control my .pst files and have confidence that I do actually have a backup to depend on.

Thank you for your help.

0 Ratings
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 19

Hi,

Why do you think IMAP is not a good idea and POP is better?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 19

Probably for the same reason that I do, I don't want my email stored on a mail server for any man and his dog to rummage through or accidentally delete and then sync empty folders with my client.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Pearl1
Contributor
Message 18 of 19

I agree with you liquorice. I never had any problems with my POP3 and Outlook. No emails disappeared and I had a lovely folder set up in Outlook to depend on. Now with IMAP I don't know what the hell is going on anytime and using BT online for emails is very unwieldy, no control whatsoever on the folder structure or column display of the Inbox and it takes much longer to do anything that I can do in Outlook so quickly.

I want control over my files and folders I don't want a program to control me.

0 Ratings
Pearl1
Contributor
Message 19 of 19

I've learnt that IMAP is designed for people who use multiple devices to access their emails - which is fine if you do this . I DO NOT. Therefore I do not need my email account to synchronise. The option to synchronise should be put at the start of the email account setup - not hidden somewhere that cannot be found afterwards.

Since my PC problems I have discovered a lot about email accounts, client email programs, saving emails and backing up and restoring emails and what I have learnt is that as usual nothing is designed to help users to set things up easily and manage their account to their individual requirements. I realise that providers cannot cater for everyone but come on - make things easier to manage. This includes Microsoft who seem to be going back to the bad old days when only a graduate of Microsoft could understand their system.

0 Ratings