cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pearl1
Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Lost emails

I recently had to reset my Windows 10 PC after a Windows Update went berserk.  I reinstalled programs including Outlook 2016 but since setting up my mail account I only have about the last 3 months of emails into Outlook from BT Mail. How can I get the rest of my emails back into my Outlook from BT mail? There is a lot but I need to go back a couple of years, 2017 - 2019. I have checked in the settings - after much head scratching and found a setting to add all to my account I think it was set up for 3 months though. I had to  have an IMAP account but previously it was a POP3 account. Can anyone help me with this issue please. Ta! in advance.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Lost emails

Are the emails that you are looking for still on the BT servers when you log onto your BT email account using a browser?

0 Ratings
Pearl1
Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Thank you for taking the time to reply, Distinguished Sage. The emails are not on my online account when I log in, only the ones I have now in Outlook going back to mid March 19. It looks like I only have about 3 months of emails online.

Before my PC problem 12/06/19 all of my emails were there on my account online going back a  few years, which was handy if I deleted one by mistake. It was a POP3 account.

However, I fear that Microsoft (MS) may have set up a synchronized IMAP account for me. I had to seek help from Microsoft because when I do downloaded Office 16 from the MS website I couldn't get anything to work, Word, Excel or Outlook. Could this have removed my earlier emails from my online account?

I know I should have backed up my emails more often, but the backups disappeared off my PC as well, as it seems that installing Windows 10 again wiped everything on the C:\drive. Luckily I still had all of my documents on a different drive so I didn't lose everything and I'm grateful for that.

I've learnt a lot since this problem, not to trust HP or Windows backup and restore for one.

I just would like to get back my emails for the past 2 and a half years.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

If the emails are not on the BT server when you log on to your email account it means that they have been deleted and are now gone for good.

If you did a full fresh install of Windows 10 this will have wiped your hard drive and as a result any copy of the emails or email saved folders that you had on the hard drive will also have been wiped and no longer recoverable.

If you did a Windows 10 install and selected the option to keep your files depending on how your email system was set up prior to the install you may be lucky and the email files are at C drive:\Users\\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook or C drive:\Users\\Roaming\Local\Microsoft\Outlook. 

Because you have reset up Outlook it is more likely that the files are not there but if they are they may be marked as "old"

0 Ratings
Pearl1
Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Thanks for the update Distinguished Sage, disappointing though it is I suspected as much. Why would the emails have been deleted out of my online account? That is what I don't understand. There was a Bulk Mail folder with some from 2014, which were obviously out of date anyway and I have on a separate drive anyway. I do have emails in a different drive up to Oct 16. Can you tell me what this Bulk Mail folder is please?

I used HP Manager (HPM) to Recover Windows and this was very unwieldy to use to say the least. For most of the options it wanted Administrator access, which my account is as Administrator. It took a day to backup files and folders in HPM and then it was not easy to restore the files. When I did so, thinking that it was saving my emails, I found out later that it was only looking for Windows Mail ! At the time it asked if I wanted to save emails it did not give me an option to choose which emails / client. The only option that lead to anything was to reset Windows. I know now to my cost that I should probably have taken the option to save files and no go for the set options in HPM. However, I did try the saving c:\ drive option along with drive E: - which was where my documents are saved. part way through about 2 am it said that the drive was not available but did not state any drive letters or options. So I went for the set options to save pictures, etc along with emails. I do have 2 backup folders from the first backup session but some of the folders seem to contain files and docs but I cannot 'see' them. Probably they are HPM files and need something else to open them, there are several thousands of folders in there. Maybe there is a folder with emails in there, I don't know as I cannot access them.  The other backup folders have a restore.exe file and then they are accessible but the 2 larger ones do not. I now know that HPM was only interested in the C:\ drive so my docs on E:\ were safe anyway, (which I did not realise at the time) they were still there when I got Windows back - safely backed up now as well. 

Apologies for the long post, but this is the back story to my quest to retrieve my emails., which may be fruitless now from your reply. Maybe the Universe is telling me to declutter eh?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

It would depend on how your Outlook was set up. If it was set up as an POP3 account with the box "save copy on server" ticked your emails would have been left on the server after you downloaded them to your computer. If the box was not ticked the emails would have been deleted from the server after they downloaded onto your computer.

If it was set up as an IMAP account what ever happens in Outlook would be replicated on the server and vice versa so if the emails were deleted in Outlook they would have been deleted on the server.

Without knowing what exactly was done when your POP3 account was deleted and your IMAP account was set up it is not possible to say what if anything went wrong.

If you search your computer and your backups for .PST files you may be able to find any emails that are there.

Unfortunately unless you can trace them in one of your back ups it would appear that you have lost them. 

0 Ratings
Pearl1
Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Thanks for the update Distinguished Sage.

My POP3 was set to leave emails on the server and as I mentioned previously, they were all there online whenever I logged in. After the PC problems they are only there back to March 19. 

If there is no way to get them back on the BT website then I'll have to accept that the emails have gone. I do have a few questions about the .psv and .ost

As I've exported from Outlook in the past as backups - but never had to import into Outlook. If I import a .pst into Outlook does that overwrite the existing  emails in Outlook, that is do I lose any emails I already had before the Import?

Is it possible to look at the emails in a .pst file before importing? To select certain emails?

I did try exporting to a .csv file but it did not seem to contain all of my emails.

I suppose you never know how valuable the backups are until you REALLY have to use then eh? Which I'm just realising now and will save them to an external drive in future and not rely on Windows / Outlook saving them for me on the C:\ drive.......

I can see the benefit of using an IMAP account as this seems to be an online backup of Outlook , but I'm sceptical of that. Would that take the place of making backups to .pst files?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

Don't import the .PST, just add it in account settings > data files. It will just appear as another folder in Outlook.

0 Ratings
Pearl1
Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Thanks muchly for the update Distinguished Sage, I'll give it a try and see how I get on.

0 Ratings
Pearl1
Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Hi there, do I do this (don't import .pst .......) in the Outlook File, Open/Export?

0 Ratings