cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 2 of 12

Lost emails

All my sent emails disappeared between 24th and 25th March. They're not in Trash, and I've spoken to the email team at BT who just said they're gone and they won't be able to get them back. Apparently there is no back up kept, and the lady I spoke to said she can't advise me how to back up my emails to make sure the same thing doesn't happen in future. I am considering changing to another provider, as I'm a bit spooked by the idea that any or all emails could disappear at any time with no way of getting them back! I have BT email and outlook on both PC and iphone, all with IMAP settings. 

It seems strange that BT doesn't keep any back ups 

Can anyone suggest any way or recovering the 'lost' emails, or how I can back up my email on cloud or external hard drive please?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12

Re: emails not saved in sent mail

This sounds like the same problem I have. All my sent emails disappeared between 24th and 25th March. They're not in Trash, and I've spoken to the email team at BT who just said they're gone and they won't be able to get them back. Apparently there is no back up kept, and the lady I spoke to said she can't advise me how to back up my emails to make sure the same thing doesn't happen in future. I am considering changing to another provider, as I'm a bit spooked by the idea that any or all emails could disappear at any time with no way of getting them back! 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Re: emails not saved in sent mail

I have moved the post you made on another thread as the thread you posted on was marked as solved, posting the same message more than once causes confusion and because you have started your own thread any answers you get will be in relation to your problem which may not be the same as the thread you posted on.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Re: Lost emails

Quick update - I've found out how to back up the emails using .pst files so I hopefully can avoid a repeat. I'd still like to know if I can get the lost ones back though!
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Lost emails

Sorry, I posted this yesterday, but seemed to have accidentally closed it, so here we go again

All my sent emails disappeared between 24th and 25th March. They're not in Trash, and I've spoken to the email team at BT who just said they're gone and they won't be able to get them back. Apparently there is no back up kept, and the lady I spoke to said she can't advise me how to back up my emails to make sure the same thing doesn't happen in future. I am considering changing to another provider, as I'm a bit spooked by the idea that any or all emails could disappear at any time with no way of getting them back! I have BT email and outlook on both PC and iphone, all with IMAP settings. 

It seems strange that BT doesn't keep any back ups 

Can anyone suggest any way or recovering the 'lost' emails, or how I can back up my email on cloud or external hard drive please?

PS I've also raised a support ticket with Microsoft in case Outlook is the problem (as the BT support agent suggested)

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Please stick to one thread, you can't 'accidentally close it'.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Honestly, I don't really care which thread - I would just like some help in recovering my lost emails! 

As I've never used this community forum before, I searched for lost emails, and saw a problem which looked similar, so posted on the end of it hoping that whoever had resolved that one might resolve mine too. 

I then discovered how to post a new enquiry, and did so. 

Then you said it was confusing of me to post on an existing enquiry, so I went back in and said that the addition I'd made was resolved. 

Two days later I've had no response except that my new thread had also been marked as resolved (I mistakenly said 'closed' rather than 'resolved' as I'm not particularly au fait with the lingo yet as a beginner. 

So whichever thread, whichever post, whichever moderator, can anyone help with the issue of hundreds of emails disappearing overnight without apparently any back up? Please

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

You have already said that you have been told by BT that the lost mails can't be recovered.

Unfortunately, it seems to be a not uncommon occurrence. The common denominator appears to be iPhones.

There are a few posts regarding people having problems setting up an account as IMAP on iPhones as they keep defaulting to POP3. POP3 operation downloads the mail from the server and then deletes it on the server unless a box is ticked to leave a copy on the server.

Are you sure the lost mails are not somewhere on your iPhone?

I will ask if the mods can help, but all they can do is identify which device deleted the mails.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Thanks for this. 

I can't find the lost emails on the Iphone. I have both outlook and BT mail on the Iphone and both seem to be setup with IMAP. I do get asked quite often in outlook to log in with my IMAP password so maybe there's an issue there. 

On the BT email settings, when I click 'help and support' I get a 'fatal error: access denied. Client address is not authorised.'

Perhaps I need to take outlook off the Iphone and just use BT Mail. 

I think I'll just have to accept I've lost all the emails, though it is annoying that BT don't do have a daily backup or some such from the server 

Onwards.....

I've also now set up a Norton backup to the cloud of all emails each day and a back up to One Drive in case any more get lost! stable doors and horses I know. I used to have backups done in my Bullguard security product but when Norton bought them out it seems the back ups stopped and I hadn't updated them in Norton. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

and actually,  it would be useful to know which device deleted the emails

Thx

0 Ratings