cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

MacMail user cannot send (but can receive) email: "unable to verify account name or password"

Just started to get problems with sending mail (via BTmail) from my Mac (and iPhone) from both my Btmail addresss - I get a dialogue box asking me to enter my password, and then it tries to check it and says "Can't connect to the account xxx" and asking me to enter my password - when I enter it it take a while trying to verify it, and then says "unable to verify account name or password".

When I go into preferences and re-enter my password under Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) I get the error message "Unable to verify account name or password." even though the password is fine as I can log into BTmail via the web using it and all is ok.

I am receiving email via Mac Mail, no problems.

Any thoughts?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: MacMail user cannot send (but can receive) email: "unable to verify account name or passwor

Just as suddenly as email would not send - email has started to send from both MacMail and IPhone - around midday today 16 Dec .... no change of password.  I checked password was ok by logging into Btmail on the web and all was fine.   Must have been some server problem at BTs end - perhaps some over the weekend work that left some things unserviceable ....?  Fingers crossed.  Email has been coming in fine all the time .... 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Re: MacMail user cannot send (but can receive) email: "unable to verify account name or passwor

And just as quickly - tvery annoyingly the problem has started again ..... can someone at BT please comment as this is clearly not a problem at my end but at BT's server .... my password is correct and emails have stopped from all my BT addresses on both Mac laptop and phone - but I can send gmail messages without any problem .... 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

The briefest of perusals of the forum would reveal that this has been happening for years and nothing gets done.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 6

Same thing has happened to me. Did you ever resolve the issue?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

@JimMullinwrote:
Same thing has happened to me. Did you ever resolve the issue?

Hi, welcome to the forums.

If the exact issue you're seeing was the same as the original poster, then hopefully the problem will clear itself after a few hours to a few days.

I suspect you're on BTYahoo Mail - webmail access via a browser will confirm this if there's a Yahoo image top left.

If you can access webmail fine, (as well as send) then there's nothing wrong with the password, hence the advice is to do nothing and wait for it to clear.

As the OP hasn't popped back again, it might be that their own issue has gone away.

0 Ratings