Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jd11
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Mail address @btinternet no longer exists

Go to solution

Hi,

Sorry my previous post got scrambled during the registration process!!

I tried to login to my @btinternet address but got the response that the address no longer exists. Previous posts suggested it could be reactivated via a reactivation button in the list of email addresses in My BT. However, there are no email addresses listed and no reactivation button.

Then I tried setting up the same address again but got the response that the address already exists.

I use my @btinternet address for managing my My BT account. I am a long standing BT Customer and I cannot see any reason why an email address linked to an active BT account should be deleted. Today I signed up to a new BT Package and now find I cannot access my @btinternet email. This means all mail relating to my account and all mail relating to this new BT Package cannot be accessed.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

JD

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES
Message 2 of 5

Re: Mail address @btinternet no longer exists

Go to solution

@jd11 No worries I'll get that other post taken down,  have you logged into the email address within the last 90 days? If not it's likely that it's been deleted due to inactivity.   

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
jd11
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Hi NeilO,

Thanks for the response. I probably have not accessed it for sometime as I have been away from home. However I thought this was a permanent email address as part of my contract for a broadband package with BT. It is my ID for accessing My BT and other BT products.  I can understand it being deleted if I terminate my contract with BT but do not see why it should be deleted otherwise. I upgraded my BT Broadband Package yesterday and all the details have been sent to the deleted address so any mail will be bounced and the info on the upgrade is no longer available either. 

I tried to set up the same address and the response is that I cannot use that address as it already exists so there is probably still an active link in the system.

Regards,

JD

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@jd11wrote:

Hi NeilO,

Thanks for the response. I probably have not accessed it for sometime as I have been away from home. However I thought this was a permanent email address as part of my contract for a broadband package with BT. It is my ID for accessing My BT and other BT products.  I can understand it being deleted if I terminate my contract with BT but do not see why it should be deleted otherwise. I upgraded my BT Broadband Package yesterday and all the details have been sent to the deleted address so any mail will be bounced and the info on the upgrade is no longer available either. 

I tried to set up the same address and the response is that I cannot use that address as it already exists so there is probably still an active link in the system.

Regards,

JD

Hi.

Unfortunately the email T&Cs do state the 90 day access suspension, then a further 60 days to reactivate.

They are not a permanent item with a BT Broadband packages, though years ago they were.

The fact that it's also an ID is actually completely separate, it's simply a set of characters to access MyBT - in this respect it's not an email address. Though the passwords were probably the same due to a sync (which can fail), they don't have to be.

You can have any email address associated with your BTBroadband account - and I suggest using a Gmail account. You can update your MyBT with those new details. With regard a login being the same as your "deleted" email address, I'm not sure if you can change a login - though hopefully that can be done.

As it happens, emails don't actually always bounce. I know this to be a fact. They could end up in spam folders, so may not even be seen.

Again, as you've seen - you will not be able to re-add the email address as it is in a delete state and not available for re-use. The message saying it exists is completely misleading, unfortunately BT won't do anything about that.

There is a very slim chance the moderators will be able to resurrect the account, but frankly I'd assume it's gone and set up that GMail account to use instead. Steer clear of btinternet email addresses.

0 Ratings
jd11
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Hi,
Thanks for the update, I will bear the comments in mind for managing BT contact email addresses in the future.
0 Ratings