Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
backnotes
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Mail stuck in Outbox, made worse by Office 2013 / Office 365 confusion

Go to solution

Hello,

I had one problem with BT Yahoo! email and seem to have made it worse trying to fix it.

The original problem was that I was using Outlook as part of Office 2013, and that suddenly stopped sending emails.  Webmail still worked / works so the account details have not changed.  Whenever I sent messages they stick in Outbox, in an italic font, and I get error messages about "too many messages".

I contacted the BT chat help and they gave me some links to options to try, including a system file scan ( sfc /scannow) that didn't throw up any errors, and then options with Outlook setup etc.  One of these was to repair Outlook, and I did this, but it has overwritten my Office 2013 with Office 365 when I entered my Microsoft account details (I have Office 365 on another account but never installed it on this machine as it worked and I didn't want to alter anything).

I still can't send email from Outlook, and want an idea what to try next.  One option is to completely remove Office and then start over with the Office 365 install. 

I am using mail.btinternet.com for incoming and outgoing email, and the IMAP incoming port is 993 and the SMTP out port is 465.  When I attempt to send a test email from account settings in Outlook, it logs onto the incoming server, but I get a timeout message for sending out a test email.

I may have changed the mail settings in my various attempts to "fix" things, but my fuindamental problem is I don't now know if I am looking at an Outlook installation problem or a BT Yahoo! email problem so I don't really know where to start.  Thanks for any advice!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Mail stuck in Outbox, made worse by Office 2013 / Office 365 confusion

Go to solution

The problem is with the BTYahoo SMTP server which they seem to be unable/unwilling to fix. There are many such posts on the forum.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

If you are still on the BTYahoo email system and not the BTMail system you could try using the Yahoo settings in Outlook

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4075.html

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@backnotes wrote:

Hello,

I had one problem with BT Yahoo! email and seem to have made it worse trying to fix it.

The original problem was that I was using Outlook as part of Office 2013, and that suddenly stopped sending emails.  Webmail still worked / works so the account details have not changed.  Whenever I sent messages they stick in Outbox, in an italic font, and I get error messages about "too many messages".

I contacted the BT chat help and they gave me some links to options to try, including a system file scan ( sfc /scannow) that didn't throw up any errors, and then options with Outlook setup etc.  One of these was to repair Outlook, and I did this, but it has overwritten my Office 2013 with Office 365 when I entered my Microsoft account details (I have Office 365 on another account but never installed it on this machine as it worked and I didn't want to alter anything).

Hi.

If your machine has not had any updates (e.g. to firewalls, anti-virus systems), then that still means something is interferring. It could have been that original email that failed (maybe due to server issues) - in which case only one email could be causing all others not to send. If you don't need to send the 1st email, delete it and try "Send" again.

Try setting up the account again (as a new account), but use smtp/pop3 access to see if that works. Of course, that could interfere with your requirements for IMAP.

What was/are the full sending error details? (remove any personal details like actual email address).

0 Ratings
backnotes
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thank you for the various replies on this.  The problem was not with one specific email, as I was able to move emails from Outbox to Drafts by working offline and clear the Outbox.  The problem then came back when I sent any new message, or sent a test message through the setup process.

However, posting here seems to have solved the problem!  I didn't change anything else, and the problem that had persisted for a week went away, and I have left it for a few days to see what happens, and it is still working.  I plan to leave well alone now rather than try to fix or diagnose it further, unless it stops working again.  Something could have happened in BT Yahoo! world, or a Windows or Office update could have fixed an underlying problem, or it is simply "one of those things".

Anyway, thanks to all for the various helpful and constructive suggestions above!

0 Ratings