cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PeterDunk
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Mail

email stopped going to and from phone? No reason, no changes. When access through web mail went to an account on Yahoo that had not been used for 3 years. BT help line no good. Engineer was supposed to call to resolve but didnt. Unable to setup new email accounts, server not responding. Can access mail through web mail, to the old yahoo account, which now 'by magic' receives new mail' but not to a client device, Android, Iphone or outlook, server not responding 'mx record' issue possible, but BT say client fault, all 3 I think not.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Mail

@PeterDunkwrote:

email stopped going to and from phone? No reason, no changes. When access through web mail went to an account on Yahoo that had not been used for 3 years. BT help line no good. Engineer was supposed to call to resolve but didnt. Unable to setup new email accounts, server not responding. Can access mail through web mail, to the old yahoo account, which now 'by magic' receives new mail' but not to a client device, Android, Iphone or outlook, server not responding 'mx record' issue possible, but BT say client fault, all 3 I think not.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Usually when emails to devices stop, the thing to do is simply wait. This can be a few hours to a few days. During this time, don't change any settings, don't change passwords, don't delete/re-install email apps. Most of all, do NOT contact the helpdesk or online chat.

During this "wait time", it's best to stop all devices from auto-checking every few minutes.

Not sure what you mean that webmail went to an old account (I assume you mean it's BTYahoo - not Yahoo. Webmail will show a Yahoo image).

Login to webmail using :-

https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform

and if it's a BTYahoo account, logout and use :-

https://mail.yahoo.com

the latter can kickstart app/client access.

Isn't the "old Yahoo account" the same email address as the one on your Phone/Outlook etc?

Can you say how you're setting up new email accounts? I assume this is via MyBT (it has to be, you can't simply create a new address in an app/client).

0 Ratings
PeterDunk
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

email

Helping a friend. Am retired IT support for buisness networks and have had little to do with home user problems. emails btopenworld stopped sending & receiving 7 days ago on laptop and android phone. has had this account for 'a long time'. Checked bt web mail which sent me to a yahoo account last used in 2016.

No recent emails coming in or out. Can send from webmail but not from clients. Spoke to 'help desk' and 'helper' switched on what I assume was a forward so old mail site receives now new messages. Not able to send. User account has switched name from openworld to internet, which they would not have done. I know it is a BT issue, spoken to 'HELP' desk and promised a conversation with '2nd line' engineer, on two occassions. None of which has happened. Think somewhere in the mx records for this account there is an issue. Can I get BT to help, well no. Anyone else had this problem and how to resolve would help. 

0 Ratings
PeterDunk
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Hi

Thanks for that, yup didnt change anything for days, infact was a week before I was asked and the user wouldnt have touched anything. Made another post tonight, as getting nowhere. Can not set up mail addresses to the BT account with android, iphone or outlook and have had to speak with bt help desk which was a 'waste of time'. Always end up at the old BT Yahoo mail pages, even with a new mail created account.

Cheers

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

The suffix btinternet and btopenworld are interchangable however it might be worth trying the prefix @btinternet.com instead of @btopenworld.com when you set up the email account.

When setting it up make sure you do it manually and not using the email clints wizard.

The correct settings are as per this link

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591

but if still on the BTYahoo email system you could try the Yahoo settings 

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4075.html

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4724.html

0 Ratings
PeterDunk
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

'Isn't the "old Yahoo account" the same email address as the one on your Phone/Outlook etc?'

Yes it is but not the current account, same email address, but a new account. I have no idea why or where it is.

There must be a redirection but not shown in the yahoo settings.

'Can you say how you're setting up new email accounts? I assume this is via MyBT (it has to be, you can't simply create a new address in an app/client).'

Yes just through my BT and new accounts end up at the same btyahoo mail site.

0 Ratings