Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oldhand2
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Management of Folders in BT eMail

Management of “Folders” in BT eMail

Statement of problem

When I have received an email I require to store it in a folder. 

In the BT mail window there are several locations that are provided

Inbox, Drafts, Sent, Trash, Spam and “My folders”

In the location “My folders” I have created 19 named folders

However there are 25 -30 other folders that have appeared in the drop down list of folders when I click on the Move to folder option.  If I do not take very good care to exactly click on the required destination folder the email seems to be lost and I am unable to recover it.  This particularly happens when trying to click on the very small down arrow head at the foot of the list of folders in order to scroll further down the list of possible folders.  The names of these spurious folders seem to be nested among the named locations quoted above.

Now if I RIGHT Click on any one of these

“folders” and window opens with the following options

Open in  new tab

Open new InPrivate window

Save target as

Copy link

Add to reading list

Ask about “x”

Search the web for “X”

[ where “X” is the name of the folder X]  

There seems to be no way of deleting the spurious folders.

The same list of folders can be revealed by clicking on search mail and then clicking in the down arrow in the line Folders.  In this instance a right click opens a window with these options

Ask Cortana about this picture

Save picture as

Share picture

Select all

Copy

Now I would find management of the folders much more straight forward if I could delete all the spurious ones.  Are you able to guide me through the steps I need to take.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Management of Folders in BT eMail

If you click on the folder you want to delete it should be highlighted and you should see a + and a x to the right of it. If you click on the x it should give you the option to delete it to the trash folder.

If you then go to the Trash folder you will see a drop down arrow. If you click on that you should see all the deleted folders.

You can then either empty the Trash folder or click on each folder and you will again see the + and x and if you select the cross it will delete the folder permanently.

0 Ratings
DanielS
Message 3 of 12

Hi @Oldhand2,

It's possible that you may have sub folders within another folder.

Can you log into your web mail and take a look at your folders on the left hand side?

Take a look to see if there are any arrows next to your folders:

Sub folder.png

You'd need to click on that arrow to display the sub folders:

sub delete.png

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Oldhand2
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Thank you for that suggestion.   Unfortunately the spurious file/folders do not show in the left hand column ,they only show up in the drop down list that appears when clicking the tab,  "Move to folder"  That is why I would like to be rid of them.

0 Ratings
Oldhand2
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Thank you Distinguished Sage, That solution did work for most of the spurious folders. Now I can live with the few that I wasn't able to delete with the x to the right of a sub folder. The remaining ones don't appear in the "My Folders " list. They only show in the drop down for Move to Folder.
0 Ratings
DanielS
Message 6 of 12

Thanks @Oldhand2.

Just to be clear, I take it that you never set the phantom folders up in the past?

I may need a few screenshots from you to try and work out what's going on. Before any of that I'll need your account details. To get in touch with us, click on my user name and then copy and paste the link under "Moderation Team Email Address" into your browser.  Complete that form and we'll get back in touch with you.

If we can't work out what's going on I can get in touch with our email providers to see if they can shed any light.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Oldhand2
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Thank you DanielS, Clicking on your name does not reveal an address for the Moderation Team. ? But you are right the phantom "folders" were NOT created by me, from the titles, they look to be composed of the starting words of some previous emails. As they ONLY appear in the drop down they don't have + on their right
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

You need to click on 'View Profile' after clicking Daniel's name.

0 Ratings
Oldhand2
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Thank you Distinguished Sage,  View profile does not give the email address as far as I can see.   Regards  Oldhand2   

0 Ratings
Oldhand2
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Thank you Distinguished Sage,, Clicking on View Profile after his name does not provide the address as far as I can locate Regards Oldhand2
0 Ratings