cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Microsoft Outlook

I have recentlky added a new computer and it takes ages to download my emails, and if I want to send one I have to switch off my computer then restart. Is this because I have POP 3 and IMAP?

Should I have IMAP only, as it also does not seem to sync properly.

If I delete POP 3, which is still on an old computer I no longer use, will this delete my email address?

Many thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Microsoft Outlook

@Fireymoosse wrote:

I have recentlky added a new computer and it takes ages to download my emails, and if I want to send one I have to switch off my computer then restart. Is this because I have POP 3 and IMAP?

Do you mean you have POP3 on one device and IMAP on another, if so that shouldn't be a problem.

Your choice, but if you have POP3 and don't tick the option to leave a copy of the message on the server then the IMAP device will not see the mails that the POP3 device has downloaded

If I delete POP 3, which is still on an old computer I no longer use, will this delete my email address?

No, it just deletes the account in Outlook.

Many thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Do you mean you have POP3 on one device and IMAP on another, if so that shouldn't be a problem.

Yes that's what I have, and there is a problem, like for instance, your reply came to me via my iPad, as my computer seems to take hours to send/receive as it seems to be trying to sync with something else. So I have to 'restart' my computer to load up any later messages. It also does not sync my contacts or calendar with my laptop.

Your choice, but if you have POP3 and don't tick the option to leave a copy of the message on the server then the IMAP device will not see the mails that the POP3 device has downloaded

That must be ticked as I do seem to get all my emails.

No, it just deletes the account in Outlook.

Does that mean if I delete POP 3 then I lose my outlook account on my computers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

No, you are just deleting the account on the one machine. You are not doing anything to your email account, just deleting an account in one instance of Outlook.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

SO why I am I having issues with the email account not updating/syncing quick enough? It was before I changed computers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

Which device are you having problems with, the POP3 or IMAP machine?  The POP3 device doesn't sync with anything, it just downloads new mail to the inbox. If it is the newly created IMAP device, have you given it chance to initially sync with all the mail that is on the server?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Yes I changed over back late last year, its the IMAP I am having trouble with, I don't use the POP3 computer at all. I have my main desktop, my laptop, my iPad and my iPhone, all of them take ages to download new messages, my desktop and laptop never send emails until I close down and restart the devices, its a real pain.

My desktop and laptop never sync contacts or calendars, and as I say, if I want to download or send messages, I have to close the devices and restart.

Extremely frustrating.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

@Fireymoosse wrote:

I don't use the POP3 computer at all.

In which case it has no bearing on the problem.

Are all your IMAP devices configured with the correct settings as detailed here 

Has it always been a problem or just recently started?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

its always been a problem, since the new computers were set up

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

Did you check the settings against the link I posted?

0 Ratings