cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 48

Migration to BT email issue on iPhone?

I use the iOS email client on an iPhone....on friday, I had the email that I need to change the settings to the mail.btinternet.com setting.  I did this, its an easy straightforward change.

But since then, when I open email, it keep going back to downloading/updating mail from months ago...and sits there updating mails until it catches up with today.   Several times i have had to just leave my phone while  works its way forwards from last november.

Is there a solution to this or does it eventually just stop doing it?

cheers

mike

47 REPLIES 47
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 48

iPhone emails disappear then reload

As of today I have noticed my that when I open Mail on my iPhone, the loaded emails show initially then disappear, I'm left with a "no mail" screen then the emails start to load again from about June 2017. 

Its a complete pain. I've done a recording of my screen but notice I cannot upload a video here. Email is running as IMAP. 

Suggestions welcome. 

Brian

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 48

Emails repeat-downloading on ipad

Hi, troubleshooting for my dad who has a BT email account. Over the last 3 days he tells me that old emails keep downloading on his iPad. It’s not causing a problem particularly but it’s odd as he has not changed any settings. I cannot see any obvious problems or anything unusual in the iPad mail settings either. 
Wondering  if this could have something to do with the apparent BT email upgrade going on at present. If BT are migrating user emails from A to B, might that cause emails to re-download to client applications such as iOS Mail? Thanks in advance. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 48

Re: Emails repeat-downloading on ipad

Update - my dad says his BT account emails have been disappearing from his iOS mailbox while he’s looking at it, which worries him. So he powers off the iPad, starts it up again and then the emails download and all is back to normal. But this has happened 3 times in the last 3 days.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 48

Re: Emails repeat-downloading on ipad

I have the same issue in last few days. I go into the mail app on IOS and in box is empty then starts to download all emails again mainly old ones. 
I go back into app and only one recent emails appears along with old ones from 2019 etc. 
I go back in again and inbox has updated with recent mails. 
Then process repeats. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 48

Re: Migration to BT email issue on iPhone?

I am assuming you have your iPhone's email app set up as an IMAP account.

Once your phone's email client has fully synchronised your folders and emails with the BT servers it should just synchronise any new messages or any new folders that you may set up.

The full synchronisation can take a while depending on how many folders and emails you have on the BT servers.

If you have your email app set up as a POP3 account, again it can take a while to download all your inbox emails, especially if it contains many years worth of emails. It won't download any folders you have on the BT servers but once the synchronisation has completed it will then only download new emails.

It might be worth logging onto your BTMail account using a web browser and carrying out a bit of "house keeping" and clear out any emails you no longer need and empty the trash folder.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 48

Cheers, its set up as an imap account (I just followed the instructions on the BT site...)

Its currently loading last November for the third time today so getting a bit frustrated!

Yeah, tidying up on the web client is a good idea but it isn't easy, you can only delete the mails on the screen...you cant - say - choose all emails from a certain address and delete all of those in one go.

GUess I'll just ride with it for a week and see how i go

cheers

m

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 48

While it can take a while to complete the initial synchronisation it should not normally take hours and it should only need to do it once. If it is repeatedly doing it there could be  problem.

Which email app are you using?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 48

HI - I use the 'standard' iOS email app on an iPhone...its just reloaded March for the fourth time today  🙂

cheers

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 48

Have you tried leaving the email app open until the synchronisation has completed?

0 Ratings