cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Missing emails

Hi in the last 5+ years I’ve only ever used email in my iPhones I recently changed device...upon reinstalling my email accounts to my new phone iPhone 11 my emails from my by account are missing from 2026 to November this year with the exception of a few that are still visible some of these missing emails are extremely important please advise thank you 

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 16

Re: Missing emails

Hi @Suzy2869 

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear this.

I assume you mean 2016? 😄

Can you view them if you login to your BT Mail online?

https://www.bt.com/mail

Thanks

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

Lol yes 2016 and no logging in to the link makes no difference my other by email address (primary) remains unaffected so far fingers crossed 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Was your previous device configured for POP3 rather than IMAP, if so and 'leave a copy of the message on the server' wasn't ticked, the mails would have been stored on your device and deleted from the server once downloaded. If you still have your old device they should be on it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 16

I must admit I’ve Never checked the configurations on any of my iPhones the emails have always jut downloaded from the server every time I’ve changed device over the last 5 or 6 years (always iPhone) 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 16

Sadly no longer have the devices as I erase them and store or sell them  😞

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 16

If you’ve changed devices in the last 5 years and set the account up as new, I would presume it would use IMAP unless you selected otherwise, or restored from backup.

You can check what type it is by going to Settings > Passwords & Accounts > Selecting the BT Mail Account > IMAP or POP3 will show at the top. 

If it shows POP3, if you click into the account and then advanced, there’s an option for ‘delete from server. Please let us know what it says.

EDIT: Sorry, just seen your other post, looks like we won’t be able to check

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Did you check they weren't in the deleted items folder in webmail?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 16

Still unresolved despite speaking to Bt and Apple 😞 seems to be something to do with an update 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 16

@Suzy2869wrote:

Still unresolved despite speaking to Bt and Apple 😞 seems to be something to do with an update 

Hi.

What update is this? Who told you there was an update?

I'm afraid you've been given the advice, and the most likely scenario is that you were using pop3 (without setting "Leave messages on server") on your last device, meaning that the emails were stored on that device only. Otherwise you would see them all via webmail.

However there has been times where the "system" has deleted emails for no apparent reason, in which case you could try :-

https://www.bt.com/help/emailrecovery

0 Ratings