cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jules68
Expert
Message 591 of 2,146

Re: Monstrous new BT email upgrade

I've also sent e-mails to myself using both gmail and various clients for BT Mail - I have included a copied and pasted Word document. All my various clients preserve the formatting, as does BT Web Mail for the gmail sent document, but the formatting (or at least some of it) doesn't appear in the BT Web Mail link. Stuff sent via BT Webmail doesn't preserve formatting, and can insert visible formatting strings making the document unreadable. There's something very wrong here.
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 592 of 2,146

Agree, just sent 3 test emails.

Word document sent as attachment is fine as expected.

With send in plain text selected, a copied and pasted document sends as expected with formatting stripped but text readable.

With send in rich text selected, formatting lost and formatting info visible.

Jules68
Expert
Message 593 of 2,146

Clearly the problem lies in the way that BT Web Mail is formatting outgoing messages - look fine on the screen and are scrambled by the time they reach the 'sent' box. Using BT Internet Mail via a client doesn't have this problem, and messages which are sent cleanly (from clients or other email services) don't arrive wrong. So the software problem lies clearly with the move from 'draft' to 'send' and is in the desktop BT Web Mail pages. Maybe someone in BT or their software supplier could look there for a solution.
Oddbodkin
Aspiring Expert
Message 594 of 2,146

That the "new improved" email system has taken to marking notifications from BT Communities as spam is a prime example of how unfit for purpose it is.

Get this fixed BT, or lose another long term customer.

DawnThomo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 595 of 2,146

Yes, I posted about this at one point higher up the thread and received a helpful reply which I thought had worked because it showed properly formatted in my sent basket. However then the person I do some work for (providing written copy to) said it still hadn't worked. Apart from the slowness and the mixed-up contacts and the annoying grey box that is the one thing I really would like to be fixed.
Jules68
Expert
Message 596 of 2,146

A bit off topic but the Android phone ap for BT Mail is also pretty poor, with far fewer options and customisation than its rivals. The bad parts of the main system (lost contacts, 'good' messages into SPAM folders etc.) are of course inherent in the way the underlying data is stored (or not) on the BT Mail Servers, but, as it's so low featured anyway, some of the annoyances like mad formatting don't seem to be there, but then any formatting is difficult. To manage to create a system that is worse than the legacy Yahoo system is quite an achievement, in a negative sort of way. I'm now using Thunderbird as my main desktop client, but I really shouldn't have to. If BT Mail is a flagship, it's the Belgrano! Or the Mary Rose.
Bloodnock
Aspiring Contributor
Message 597 of 2,146

I'd vote with my feet as well if it were not for BT charging me just so as i can keep the BT email address that's on all my business headings and cards.

I've been a Loyal BT Broandband customer for over 20 years and because I no longer have my Landline with BT and only My £42 a month Broadband they'll not give me the offer of a free BT Halo 2 Hub upgrade that was indeed offered to me on my BT Broadband Home page, the offer was there but I don't qualify it seemed on enquiring, indeed I could not even buy it from BT even if I wanted to unless I returned my landline contract to BT....and I can't do that as the cost of their call diverts would cost me around an extra £70 per month on top of my phone bill

It's a strange company that won't sell it's loyal Broadband customers their own brand homehub because they didn't want to buy everthing else in the shop!..they are truly cutting off their nose to spite their face and it really does annoy me.

Jules68
Expert
Message 598 of 2,146

I'm not leaving BT Mail services, just not using the BT supplied Web Mail or mobile app - except when I have to go into into my account (grrr) to identify yet another kosher communication as not being SPAM. Or when I need to alter or add to my file system. The ridiculous thing is that BT e-mails work fine (well, pretty well) EXCEPT when mediated by BT's own interfaces. And of course the cut-over to the 'new system (which I'm suffering but my partner, who got the account at the same time as me, isn't, yet, curiously) . The old adage, 'if it's working, don't fix it' is a good one - BT Yahoo wasn't actually working that well, but this 'fix' is devastatingly awful. Only Windows updates are flakier! And they normally only impact some customers, not everyone.
Bloodnock
Aspiring Contributor
Message 599 of 2,146

I tried Thunderbird but couldn't get along with it, had it all set up but my BT email sub folders were not to be found, so I now access my BT Mail using Either Outlook or Microsofts Edge....and to be honest the Microsoft Edge is lovely but I've never got round to setting it up on all my laptops.

Jules68
Expert
Message 600 of 2,146

"I tried Thunderbird but couldn't get along with it, had it all set up but my BT email sub folders were not to be found"

I had this problem till I removed Thunderbird, rebooted, turned off my VPN, re-loaded Thunderbird and logged in afresh - then all my folders (and I have lots!) appeared. And now I can smoothly drag and drop e-mails into appropriate folders.