cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jules68
Expert
Message 601 of 2,146

Re: Monstrous new BT email upgrade

"and to be honest the Microsoft Edge is lovely but I've never got round to setting it up on all my laptops"

I've just had an awful thought - surely BT couldn't have been so stupid as not to optimise around all main browsers - I use Chrome, but I've just accessed the web mail page via Edge and it is, marginally, better, at least as regards speed and looks. Of course the contacts, and false SPAM and lost files will still be an issue, but for BT to chose not to optimise around the market leading browser would be madness, surely? The basic test is 'how does this look in Firefox, Chrome and whatever MS is shoving forward at the moment'? I know small company web pages aren't always universally browser compatible - but BT isn't a small company. Yet.
carmik
Aspiring Contributor
Message 602 of 2,146

I agree with every comment on this backward step we have had thrust on us.  It's slow, it keeps stopping mid text when composing emails, I can't work out how to attach documents, most of my contacts have disappeared, my folders are all mixed up and the process of moving emails into folders is laborious and runs the risk of placing them into the wrong folder.  Shame on you BT, please find a way that we can revert to the old system.  I am looking at other email servers so that I can ditch this dreadful upgrade.

Bloodnock
Aspiring Contributor
Message 603 of 2,146

I have a VPN as well but it's seldom used...I never thought to power down the PC to reboot it though.

Another thing I didnt much like about Thunderbird was that it would not work unless I used the agree to keep email stored on the PC instead of on cloud based storage.....and then it spent 30 minutes downloading around 6000 emails going back to 2015...my fault for keeping them so long.

0 Ratings
Jules68
Expert
Message 604 of 2,146

I found using an alternative Mail client, without having to ditch my e-mail provider (I've had the same main address for over 25 years) worked for me. Make sure you connect via an IMAP (not POP3) link and it sets up automatically on the services I've tried. I am now using Thunderbird, which is sort-of old fashioned but works just as I would expect it to. I've had to rebuild (some) contacts because when BT cut over to the new system not all migrated (you get your BT contacts by exporting into a file and then importing the file into the new e-mail client) . And I've had to reteach the servers that Amazon addresses aren't SPAM. But that's a lot less hassle than setting up an entirely new e-mail address and letting all your contacts know.
0 Ratings
Bloodnock
Aspiring Contributor
Message 605 of 2,146

I don't seem to be having the false spam problems on Edge as you appear to be having....I also have my contacts on theres well, probably more through accident than by design.

0 Ratings
Jules68
Expert
Message 606 of 2,146

"Another thing I didnt much like about Thunderbird was that it would not work unless I used the agree to keep email stored on the PC instead of on cloud based storage.....and then it spent 30 minutes downloading around 6000 emails going back to 2015...my fault for keeping them so long." -

That shouldn't have happened - the default is to use IMAP - which keeps the files on the main server - only POP3 (not recommended) keeps files locally. I'm using IMAP on Thunderbird and all my folders and emails (some going back to the Millenium) are still on BT servers.
0 Ratings
Bloodnock
Aspiring Contributor
Message 607 of 2,146

I had the same trouble moving mail to sub folders, but was doing it by touchscreen, I then started using the cursor and it was fine.

Why do laptops with touchscreen throw up a windows pop up box right in the most awkward place, it covers up the email option pop box every time and you cant see the options.

goldmankind
Aspiring Expert
Message 608 of 2,146

Priceless  BT  now  sending incoming mail  from BT Community  to Spam,  This must be because they hope everyone wont see any mail

Jules68
Expert
Message 609 of 2,146

Does anyone know whether the new BT Mail can learn? If you mark something as 'not SPAM', does it assume that anything else from that address isn't SPAM either? The old system could learn, but when I started to use the new system and marked things as not SPAM I'm not sure it did. So I had to put them in  a 'safe senders' list. But that's an effort. I suppose I could experiment (and will if I have to) but if anyone knows...? Someone from BT Mail perhaps?

0 Ratings
Oddbodkin
Aspiring Expert
Message 610 of 2,146

Every BT Communities email now going to spam after I marked the last one as "not spam".

Dire, utterly dire...