cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnRH
Aspiring Expert
Message 811 of 2,146

Re: Monstrous new BT email upgrade

gg30340......yes fully aware of the fact that the new system is not an upgrade hence why I put it in inverted commas and am fully aware that we have been moved away from Yahoo forever.

But that doesn't alter the fact that the move which has been planned, I understand for many years, is verging on a disaster.

If I performed in this way I would be very quickly out of job. Given that I design mechanical services systems I would quickly find myself having claims for compensation if I ripped out old but working systems and replaced them with new systems which when they didn't perform as specified my only answer was tough you'll just have to wait until I get around to resolving the issues in my own sweet time. Oh and by the way pay my bill nevertheless even though the system I designed doesn't work as you wish. I'll try this BT approach with one of the hospitals I work for shall I?

goldmankind
Aspiring Expert
Message 812 of 2,146

@MickyBinks   For  some    not all  and as @gg30340    points  out  this it  so  forget what  you had or did with BT  Yahoo mail.   If  BT Yahoo mail  you  could  have just opened a Yahoo mail account  before they  stopped that.

0 Ratings
Jules68
Expert
Message 813 of 2,146

When BT moved from Yahoo Mail to its interim BT Yahoo we got some changes in functionality (which were initially annoying, as all changes are) - some losses and some gains in functionality - but the system was still quite fast, and the changes were and remained consistent. What worked always worked and worked quickly. Now we have things which don't work consistently, or sometimes at all. Marking things as from a 'safe sender' will not always stop them still being put into SPAM. Although sometimes it will. Sometimes you can drag and drop files into folders, but sometimes that seems blocked. Some messages disappear, for some people. And yet if you address the underlying database through a client, things do run smoothly and fast. So there's a problem with the webmail pages and controls that we access through our browser apps. And it doesn't seem to matter which apps we use. Indeed the webmail pages act very much like an app (a programme) running the underlying mail record data that our mail client apps also address. And it isn't very well written and doesn't seem to remember what it should be doing. Memory, and consistency of action, is what we expect of computer programmes. Yet we don't get it here. I'm glad if some users are OK with this, but I have experienced, and expect, better. And it seems BT is slightly aware of the problems itself, but isn't able to bottom them out. They seem to have taken a minimal feed from Yahoo in building their own programme and database - essentially as far as I can see the message and folder stacks and some data from the dynamic folders (in Box, Out Box, Sent Mail) - but apparently not all. And none of the algorithms which populated the SPAM and Contact build processes. You might be able to get away with a build like this in a new system, but there are millions of BT Mail customers who are not welcoming changes, and not changes which appear intermittently broken.
Tags (1)
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 814 of 2,146

@JohnRH wrote:

gg30340......yes fully aware of the fact that the new system is not an upgrade hence why I put it in inverted commas and am fully aware that we have been moved away from Yahoo forever.

But that doesn't alter the fact that the move which has been planned, I understand for many years, is verging on a disaster.

If I performed in this way I would be very quickly out of job. Given that I design mechanical services systems I would quickly find myself having claims for compensation if I ripped out old but working systems and replaced them with new systems which when they didn't perform as specified my only answer was tough you'll just have to wait until I get around to resolving the issues in my own sweet time. Oh and by the way pay my bill nevertheless even though the system I designed doesn't work as you wish. I'll try this BT approach with one of the hospitals I work for shall I?

Is there anything I posted that says the performance is good or that designers of mechanical service systems who pay their bill should have to accept it!

0 Ratings
JohnRH
Aspiring Expert
Message 815 of 2,146

Goldman....sorry it doesn't work. As I typed my comment I did just try to be sure. I placed a 2.25mb image into the email and got the error message. Note placed it into the email so it appears with the text, not attached it using the

Capturewwwww.JPG

icon which is called local image.

25mb applies to attachments but actually its for the entire email not just the attachment.

JohnRH
Aspiring Expert
Message 816 of 2,146

gg30340.......I am not criticising you, I am just considering that BT are a multi billion pound organisation with supposed expertise in communication and I'm saying that if I were to treat my clients in the same way they would be seeking a solution which would cost me dearly. Such contractural obligations don't appear to apply to BT.

kenyoj
Contributor
Message 817 of 2,146

Thank you distinguished sage I realised its was a BT originated system but clearly all the data files have been migrated across in a big bang approach rather than phased, perhaps this is the root of the problems and /or server capacity which is why its crashing?

0 Ratings
kenyoj
Contributor
Message 818 of 2,146

Could not have put this any better!
0 Ratings
disgruntled4
Aspiring Contributor
Message 819 of 2,146

Terrible BT mail and BT censorship of complaints

To: support@which.co.uk

Cc: home.news@thetimes.co.uk exclusive@the-sun.co.uk dtnews@telegraph.co.uk newsdesk@independent.co.uk expressletters@express.co.uk haveyoursay@bbc.co.uk

The following complaint regarding BT was sent to WHICH via the WHICH website and has also been placed on the BT Community Forum.

I have tried for 18 months to get BT to abandon or fix their new BT Mail and BT have resorted to suppressing and censoring the complaints. There are many other BT customers who are in the same position who are being ignored.

BT are unconcerned. Either the employees of BT are hiding their incompetence from Management or the BT Management policy is to ignore the complaints of its customers. I believe there is evidence for both these conclusions.

The new BT mail has been drip fed to small batches of BT customers over a period of 18 months starting in December 2018 and was finally unleashed on the bulk of BT customers at the beginning of June 2020.

There are 2 BT Community Forum threads covering the new BT mail both managed by a BT employee referred to as SeanD. This gentleman has taken to removing contributions on these BT Community Forum threads which are critical of the way BT have handled the launch of the New BT Mail Layout. . The first of the BT Community Forum threads “”Re: New BT Mail Layout”” was created on 06-12-2018 by SeanD, ( BT Community Forum Manager), who is a BT employee. This first thread covered complaints from the small number of customers involved by BT as unsuspecting Beta Testers of the new BT Mail. In my case, my BT mail was changed without warning in January 2019 and resulted in 3 days of frustration unable to use my email. My complaints went unheeded and I therefore emailed the CEO of BT. The complaint to the CEO also went unheeded. I therefore placed an entry on the BT Community Forum thread “”Re: New BT Mail Layout”” asking the other BT customers, who were complaining, to email the CEO of BT. This request on the BT Community Forum thread to the other BT customers was deleted by SeanD.

Examination of the “”Re: New BT Mail Layout”” thread shows how the complaints between December 2018 and June 2020 came in small dispersed batches with a period of several weeks/months between each new batch as BT altered the New BT Mail Layout in response to the complaints from the unwilling customers who were now Beta Testers for BT. By June 2020 there were 781 entries on the “”Re: New BT Mail Layout”” thread and on 29-06-2020 SeanD, Community Manager, closed the thread saying “"This particular thread was created some time ago so at this point I am going to go ahead and lock this thread. I have done so because there is a new discussion taking place over on this link, “Monstrous new BT email upgrade” which we are actively monitoring. It makes it easier to manage if we have all feedback around our new email platform in one place. Last week we posted an update on the issues that our customers have raised in terms of BT email, you can read this update from here, “Email migrations - Update from BT” ””.

‎The second thread “Monstrous new BT email upgrade” was created by SeanD on 04-06-2020 and has in just one month generated more entries (797 entries by 10-07-2020 ) than the first thread (781 entries covering 18 months). The statement by SeanD that “It makes it easier to manage if we have all feedback around our new email platform in one place” was ignored by and SeanD and he made no mention in the second thread of the existence of the first thread of 781 entries created in the 18 months between December 2018 and June 2020. I therefore placed an entry on this second thread informing the now 797 involved in the second thread of the history from December 2018 involving the new BT Mail layout and rollout and the lack of action to customer complaints by BT. This entry was placed on the second thread on the evening of 05-07-2020 but by the following morning SeanD had deleted the entry.

The BT Community Forum threads are intended for customers to put forward their views and complaints but SeanD, the BT Community Forum Manager, is actively conducting a policy of suppression and censorship of the entries being placed on the threads, This policy, together with the policy of using BT Customers as unwilling Beta Testers for the new BT Mail, has been done with the acquiescence of the BT CEO . Knowing that WHICH is actively involved in the exposure of poor performance by large companies I have placed this information with you. I will also place this same information word for word on the second thread “Monstrous new BT email upgrade” and then wait for it to be deleted by SeanD

kenyoj
Contributor
Message 820 of 2,146

Thank you for your action Disgruntled 4 I phoned Which this AM too