cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mum2Emma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 831 of 2,146

Re: Monstrous new BT email upgrade

I have just read every post from page 80 to here. Before starting I to do so I clicked on delete for an email address that I have not used in the past 5 years in my BT account. Having finished reading here I went back in to carry on working on my emails only to find the whirling little icon still going round and round to delete said email and me unable to get out of it & return to the incoming emails - to say this is frustrating is an understatement to the point I am tomorrow going to open a new email address with another server and migrate (if possible) all my emails to there. Thanks a bunch BT
Stephen5000
Expert
Message 832 of 2,146

"I am tomorrow going to open a new email address with another server and migrate (if possible) all my emails to there. Thanks a bunch BT..."

I admire you young'uns that just change email address on a whim. I've mentioned before, but I've had mine starting 28 years ago. I do know in 'tech' terms, that makes me a living dinosaur. I have over 150 'accounts' linked to my email address, everything from banking, to hobby forums. The thought of just getting a new address fulls me with fear to the extent that I accepted BT's blackmail on me some years ago when they threatened to delete my account unless I upgraded to a premium email account now running at £7.50/month.

I considered it on the same level as 'ransomware', but legal LOL

I can suffer all the cr*p that has gone wrong with my account (though admittedly the non working calendar is a bit of a disaster) as long as they don't delete me!

Oh, Mum2Emma, a few years back I did try to migrate one of my accounts to a new Gmail address, it transferred about half the emails before coming up with constant errors, and no longer worked. (POP errors) I gave up, life really is far too short...

goldmankind
Aspiring Expert
Message 833 of 2,146

@Mum2Emma  you can if you aren't happy with the BT webpage just read and write your emails through Gmail (Google account). Showing as sent from BT and not the Gmail account

JayKayGee
Beginner
Message 834 of 2,146

Thanks Jules.  Random isn't always bad.  For instance there's an old theory to explain evolution that proposes random mutation of genes during replication could produce better, stronger outcomes.  Did anyone think allowing random errors to arise and go uncorrected during creation of the offspring would produce a better email system? (!)

0 Ratings
federicobazz
Contributor
Message 835 of 2,146

I need some help with sync of calendars .

if I receive an e-mail on my BT internet account with a google calendar invitation , and I click accept, I cannot see any more the invitation .

any help/suggestion ? 
thanks

federico 

0 Ratings
Stephen5000
Expert
Message 836 of 2,146

"I need some help with sync of calendars .

if I receive an e-mail on my BT internet account with a google calendar invitation , and I click accept, I cannot see any more the invitation .

any help/suggestion ?
thanks..."

I have no help to offer at all I'm afraid, just some solidaroty. My calendar had not worked at all since they changed to the new platform...

calendar error.jpg

0 Ratings
JohnRH
Aspiring Expert
Message 837 of 2,146

Well a new wierd problem today.

I did say earlier this week that I had problems trying to send pdf documents to someone who needed some advice.

Three pdf documents, 4.3mb, 1.4mb, 1.4mb and along with an email which went something like this, "Hello Lee find attached documents regarding the boiler and installation details we were discussing". All documents open fine here in my pdf reader.

It would not send. All I get is an error and neither will it save as a draft. So retype every attempt.

Today I decide to try again. I send all three documents separately. Doc 1 with some text explaining all are being sent in three separate emails, sent ok. Doc 2 with small amount of text sent ok.  Doc 3 with a line of text will not send.

Puzzled, I send doc 3 without text, it sends.

I then send the two lines of text on it own, it sends.

Try as I might pdf doc 3, which opens here, reads just fine and is 1.4mb will not send with text and neither can I save it as a draft.

Send it with the same text on gmail and it sends.

Over the years because of my job I have sent thousands of pdf documents, some from website some created by me, never a problem. I really do not understand this problem though.

Jules68
Expert
Message 838 of 2,146

If the BT Monitor reading this (Sean D?) has any sense, he/ she should be advising his/ her master's/ mistresses that quickly stopping further migration 'until things are fixed' is the only sensible PR action if the various communications to Which etc. actually take fruit. The cacophony of errors that this thread, and its closed predecessor have exposed will give great copy  to anyone wishing to beat BT over the head (which is, historically, most people). To show that some action, even if belated, has been taken is the first wriggle off the hook that BT has firmly embedded itself into.

It's not just that the Web Mail service is sub-featured compared to what else is on offer, nor even that some 'improvements' have yet to be delivered - it is that what is there frequently doesn't work, certainly doesn't work consistently, and is causing its customers the pain not just of learning something new, but of being unable to send emails and of accessing sent emails, now permanently destroyed. 

This isn't just about wanting a Rolls Royce but getting a Mini, this is about wanting a car and getting a Trabant without an engine.

DavidB2
Contributor
Message 839 of 2,146

One bit of good news is that, after being told last week by the Premium Mail helpline that all my outgoing messages could now only be sent from the very clunky .t21@btinternet.com version of my email address, they have suddenly starting sending from @talk21.com again! I'm really glad about that, but it doesn't inspire much confidence in the "help" on offer from BT,  especially as the person I spoke to went off to confirm that that was the case with his supervisor.

When composing a message, has anyone else found that you have to write the first letter of a new paragraph and then backspace to get the cursor in front of it before hitting the enter key? If I hit return first, nothing comes up when I start to type on the new line.

I'm bracing myself to read all the help everyone has given on contacts before trying to sort mine out this week. They are a total mess at the moment, and trying to edit them has just added more confusion so far. Thanks to everyone for the help they have offered here.

jethro
Aspiring Expert
Message 840 of 2,146

I use a mixture of BT Yahoo Web Mail + via IMAP, e-mail clients on PCs and smartphones - Only one of my infrequently used sub-accounts has been migrated so I have not yet experienced the vast melange of issues that many of you have described on this thread - apart from the response time issue.

I'd like to be prepared before my main email accounts get migrated and so have these questions - I'm sure the combined brainpower of the community will have answers please!  

1. What's the best method for backing up messages and contacts on BT Yahoo in order to ensure that they'll be available in case of problems with the migration?

2. As an alternative approach will I be able to use my contacts in an email client like Outlook to populate my migrated new BT Mail accounts?

3. I seem to remember that somewhere back in the thread there were issues with the auto-fill of addresses when composing emails - is there any way of pre-empting this issue or is auto-fill a function of the specific Web Mail application.

Any suggestions gratefully received.