Aspiring Expert
Message 1281 of 2,146

Re: Terrible new 'improved' email

DavidB2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1278 of 1,280

Problems with starting a new paragraph.

Since "upgrade," some of us have been having problems  starting new paragraphs when writing messages -  no text appears on the new line after hitting the return key to start a new paragraph.  Much though I hate to admit that one of our acid-tongued "aspiring experts" was right, it does seem that this is a problem with the web browser you use as  I tried Edge instead of Firefox and it worked fine. I then posted on the FIrefox user forum and got  the advice below, which has solved the problem. It would have been nice if the Premium Mail help-line had been able to tell me this, let alone that they might actually inform users about fixes like this rather than us having to go to them. I just hope it helps others too.

Back in version 60, Firefox changed what it inserts when you press Enter so that it would work better with Gmail. You could try reversing that old change to see whether it helps with your mail site. Here's how:

(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.

(2) In the search box in the page, type or paste newline and pause while the list is filtered

(3) Double-click the editor.use_div_for_default_newlines preference to switch the value from true to false

+++

It works. Yippee!!!

Thanks for finding the fix to one of the irritating issues.

If only BT could fix the rest of them...

0 Ratings
Mastercaterer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1282 of 2,146

When composing in the new BT mail, can you make the emojis for use bigger, they're too small!

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 1283 of 2,146

@Oddbodkin wrote:

It works. Yippee!!!

@Oddbodkin  Could I politely suggest you use the quote function of the forum when quoting a post in a thread rather than copying and pasting , it makes following the thread simpler. If you click on the reply button of the particular post you wish to quote and then click on the quotation marks in the tool bar it has the effect shown above. It makes the quoted and new text more distinguishable.

Jules68
Expert
Message 1284 of 2,146

@licquoricewrote:

@Oddbodkinwrote:

It works. Yippee!!!

@Oddbodkin  Could I politely suggest you use the quote function of the forum when quoting a post in a thread rather than copying and pasting , it makes following the thread simpler. If you click on the reply button of the particular post you wish to quote and then click on the quotation marks in the tool bar it has the effect shown above. It makes the quoted and new text more distinguishable.

If he's using a phone that won't work - the quote marks are much more restricted (aren't there) in a mobile app. on e.g. Chrome.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 1285 of 2,146

You can select the full site on a phone in order to use the toolbar.

goldmankind
Aspiring Expert
Message 1286 of 2,146

@mpcollins619  regarding Contacts   when the contacts were moved over you will probably find they are all in a Folder named Main.  Under contacts go new new Create an address book  and  copy  all the contacts into there. They will then auto  complete    Those  that dont its because its put the email  in  the wrong  field  in which  case just  edit that particular email  details 

mpcollins619
Beginner
Message 1287 of 2,146

Thanks a lot for this info.  I just tried this and it said "An error occurred when creating the address book. Please try again later." So I'll try that... 

0 Ratings
Oddbodkin
Aspiring Expert
Message 1288 of 2,146

What "quote function".

If there was one, I'd use it.

This forum's a bit like the new, improved email service, in that it's 10 years or more behind everyone else & doesn't work very well. 😉

0 Ratings
JohnRH
Aspiring Expert
Message 1289 of 2,146

@Oddbodkin 

Morning. I know what you mean.

I'll show you. This is the standard toolbar. Note the three dots.

Capture01.JPG

Click on them. You'll get this.

Capture01.JPG

Notice the inverted commas, or quote marks. Have a look and you'll see how it works.

There's a saying "a picture paints a thousand words". Which is why I have the problem with not being able to simply embed photos into emails as I use it to illustate problems I am trying to explain to people.

I hope this helps.

Regards

0 Ratings
Jules68
Expert
Message 1290 of 2,146

@JohnRH 

This is very evident on a PC , but on my mobile (Android/ Chrome browser) I get offered a very truncated formatting set, with no obvious way of extending it , and no access to the useful " marks.  I have not tried different browsers. 

0 Ratings