Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SeanD
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 1431 of 2,146

Re: Monstrous new BT email upgrade

@Stephen5000 wrote:

Out community manager @SeanD keeps the Email Migrations thread up to date as and when we get the updates from the email guys.

Cheers

David

@DavidM

One of the updates I am waiting on has been stated to be fixed in v2.17, may I ask how I check what 'version' of email I am using? I can't see an obvious way of checking...

Hi @Stephen5000,

Thanks for the message.  The version number is included in the URL once you login to webmail, please see the image below,

Webmail url.png

The version number will update as future updates are pushed live.

Cheers

Sean

SeanD
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 1432 of 2,146

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your continued engagement on this thread and your patience while we address the concerns that you have raised.  I am very sorry to those of you that have been negatively impacted by the changes to your email.  We appreciate that for some of you, these changes have caused a lot of frustration.

We are committed to listening to your feedback and improving functionality where we can.  We appreciate that we cannot bring improvements as fast as you would like but we have committed to addressing the points you have raised and bringing improvements over the next few months.

All the points that have been raised on this thread are listed over here on this pinned thread, Email migrations - Update from BT.  Here you will find an update on the work we are doing to address your concerns.  My last update was posted on the 30th of July and this includes information about when we aim to address the various points that have been raised.  I want to thank you all for your continued feedback, this is very much appreciated.  I would highly recommend that you subscribe to our update thread so you will receive a notification when we update this again.

I understand that this is a highly emotive subject and there is a lot of frustration out there.  We welcome your feedback around our mail platform, but can I ask that you keep your feedback constructive and on topic.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you must remain respectful to others while getting your point across.  It is unfair that some customers are being called out when all they are doing is trying to help with a difficult situation or have a differing opinion.  Our moderators and subject matter experts are the only official BT employee on Community, and we can be identified by the title under our username.  Our Community leaders are not employed by BT and dedicate their own time to help answer questions on Community so please bear this in mind.

We want to allow this topic to grow constructively but off-topic comments or posts that are likely to insight an argument will be removed by the mods.

If you are having a problem with your email that is not listed in our update thread, then please create your own thread so help can be offered.  This particular thread is not the ideal location to seek help on individual issues. 

If the concern you have is listed on our update thread, but you don’t feel you can wait until we address this, I would recommend that you set up an email client to use your email account.  Using an email client will largely negate the frustrations that you have.  I appreciate that webmail may well be the preferred method of access for a lot of customers, so we are working hard to bring more improvements over the coming months, until then an email client may be more suited.

If you would like to set up an email client then you can find the settings you will need via this link, What are the settings for outgoing and incoming BT Email servers? 

Cheers

Sean

Jules68
Expert
Message 1433 of 2,146

It is symptomatic of the poor coding of the WebMail that every time I log-in or refresh the page (not the folder) I am given an entirely false, and random, Draft Message count. I have no messages in Draft (normally) and yet I am offered anything from 3 to over 20 as the initial count. Clearly this isn't a critical fault, but it tells you there is something fundamentally wrong with the underlying system.

And it re-emphasises the regular reports that errors appear random, with strange 'sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't' experiences.

There has been no admission by BT, but I'm hoping that the migration has been paused until a stable system can be introduced - with the planned 'updates' listed clearly not until the late autumn. 

The other thing worth noting is that the detailed help offered by the paid and unpaid experts (which is, very often, helpful) nonetheless demonstrates clearly that the new system is not just not very like the old BT Yahoo, but is also very non-intuitive - I can normally find my way around new software because most designers follow a common 'design language' - but often with this I'm surprised when the 'fix'is described - because I would never have thought to look for that. For instance 'version' information is normally contained in an 'about' drop down (say under 'settings'), or similar, and not in the url - that's a first for me.

Stephen5000
Expert
Message 1434 of 2,146

@SeanDwrote:

@Stephen5000wrote:

Out community manager @SeanD keeps the Email Migrations thread up to date as and when we get the updates from the email guys.

Cheers

David

@DavidM

One of the updates I am waiting on has been stated to be fixed in v2.17, may I ask how I check what 'version' of email I am using? I can't see an obvious way of checking...

Hi @Stephen5000,

Thanks for the message.  The version number is included in the URL once you login to webmail, please see the image below,

Webmail url.png

The version number will update as future updates are pushed live.

Cheers

Sean

Great bit of info, every day's a school day, thank you... 😀

JohnRH
Aspiring Expert
Message 1435 of 2,146

@Jules68 

Yes I read the piece about the version number and shook my head in disbelief.

0 Ratings
ssrco02
Contributor
Message 1436 of 2,146

Funny thing, I do have some stuff in Draughts but not according to the mobile app!
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 1437 of 2,146

Now that the useful information regarding where the version number for BTMail can be found can users now say if they are all on the same version or is it as was previously speculated that users are on different versions? 

Out of interest, for comparison reasons I would be interested to know if any users can tell me where to find the version number on Yahoo and Gmail as I am unable to find it.

Stephen5000
Expert
Message 1438 of 2,146

@gg30340wrote:

Now that the useful information regarding where the version number for BTMail can be found can users now say if they are all on the same version or is it as was previously speculated that users are on different versions? 

I am currently on version 2.15 (now I know where to find it, I'm excitingly waiting to be shifted onto v2.17 for my calendar to work again!)

0 Ratings
JohnRH
Aspiring Expert
Message 1439 of 2,146

Well it's around 8.30pm Friday and my email is playing up.

Tonight I cannot embed a 142kb image into an email and get an error message. As below.

Capturexxxx.JPG

Not only that but images contained within emails sent to me and on first viewing were fine now on subsequent viewing show as this.

Capture02.JPG

 .....with simply the word  "image" where the image was a few minutes earlier. Thanks BT.

Signing out and in again got the images back but I still could not embed an outgoing image.

Then I checked the Downdetector website and it seems BT has a problem again. Thanks BT, you are the pits.

0 Ratings
Oddbodkin
Aspiring Expert
Message 1440 of 2,146

And I'm back to square one again.

Deleted an email  & the page sits with the "loading mail" message for several minutes before coming up with the tired old (& completely false) "You have moved this message while using another device at the same time, please refresh your screen" message.

So I refresh the page & get this:

"

https://email.bt.com/mail/sso/engine.jsp

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to email.bt.com. PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.

Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem."

After multiple tries, using two browsers I get as far as having a blank email page with the little "loading" message circling (apparently eternally) in the middle of the screen.

BT have had months to fix this mess & failed miserably.

ETA

Oh joy, progress, as in the page has now progressed to "

Sorry, this request could not be completed

"

Has anyone been fired for this debacle?

They should have been.