Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1441 of 2,146

Re: Monstrous new BT email upgrade

@Oddbodkin 

Evening.

I think if you look at the website Downdetector you'll see that they have a problem AGAIN tonight.

ttttttt.JPG

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1442 of 2,146

@Oddbodkin 

Well I will now try to send the emails I couldn't deal with last evening.

The issue that I had last night, the inability to see images I previously had seen in received emails is a first but my inability to insert even a very small image into one of my own emails has happened before and has definitely always occurred when one of these 'down' periods is starting to raise it's head. That's why last night immediately this happened I checked the Downdetector site and on seeing the graph going through the roof thought "here we go again" and stopped trying. It was then that I noticed your comments and replied to you.

It's odd but I have noticed that I don't lose my webmail competely during these disruption periods and we're had a few in the last week or two, but certain "functions" fail to work or sit there trying to work and eventually fail. It's as if the system becomes overloaded and is struggling to cope. However sign out of webmail at these times  and often I can't immediately get back in.

I do wonder if this is connected to the "sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't" issue. 

Anyway I hope your issues have been resolved.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1443 of 2,146

I don't want to give hostages to fortune, but on 3 consecutive occasions on loading or refreshing the Web Mail I have not been given a false Drafts count - for the first time since I was migrated. So maybe this (albeit very minor) fault has now been cleared, at least for me; in which case, well done!

Now for all the rest....

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1444 of 2,146

As with others I get emails bounce back as undeliverable to known good addresses, I'm on v2.15. Given that BT are so slow at fixing these faults that we have to live with this 'Downdetector' may be useful, how do we find it please?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1445 of 2,146

Good Morning Sean, Please can you give us some idea how far up the Management Chain this farce has gone? Will someone not get a bonus this year? Are we likely to see any recompense? I'm sure that the techies trying to fix this are working their £$^*" off, but who 'signed off' on this mess?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1446 of 2,146

Just a reminder that emails downloaded via POP3 are 'vanishing' unless one ticks the email client box to preserve them, in which case they sit in the webmail inbox indefinitely, with no indication as to which have been downloaded and which not (i.e. 'mixed messages'), until manually deleted at webmail level when they are moved to the deleted items folder.

I use the term 'vanishing' because whilst they become invisible there is uncertaintly as to what actually happens to them. (For new participants reading this, as previously discussed here, in the past emails downloaded using POP3 were moved from 'inbox' to 'deleted'  - in this case only 'fresh' mail would be found in the inbox, which avoided the 'mixed messages' situation.) *

Whilst one can choose to retain downloaded emails on the server the function to delete them after a specified period is not supported.  (As a consequence one cannot know if this function would cause them to vanish from view or move to deleted items.)

It was the case that messages in deleted items would auto 'vanish' after 60 days or so (i.e. become no longer be visible) but there seem to be unusual things happening since the BT Mail Upgrade, so I am not yet certain as to just what is going on.

The upshot of all this is a lot of untidiness in the house requiring additional user cleaning and  tidying routines which, in this day and age, could and should be better automated.

* The argument here being that it was not POP protocol, although it was more automated and provided better clarity.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1447 of 2,146

@CanalDiggerwrote:
Given that BT are so slow at fixing these faults that we have to live with this 'Downdetector' may be useful, how do we find it please?

You simply google, 'BT down...' It will usually be the first listing.

@CanalDiggerwrote:
Good Morning Sean, Please can you give us some idea how far up the Management Chain this farce has gone? Will someone not get a bonus this year? Are we likely to see any recompense? I'm sure that the techies trying to fix this are working their £$^*" off, but who 'signed off' on this mess?

There really is no point in venting your anger & frustration in this manner. For a start, BT is not a government run company, so can give a bonus out to whoever they please. (If you object to that policy, buy some shares, and attend the next shareholder meeting, and formally object)

Of course you are not likely to see any recompense, you'll find that confirmed in the T&C of the agreement you signed off when you accepted BT WebMail. Getting angry at 'the management' will gain you no results either.

There is no doubt that BT has messed up royally on this, but the best we can do is for a start, keep our temper to ourselves. Then, inform regularly of specific errors that we encounter, so that the poor team that have been tasked with sorting this out can prioritise the errors, and get down to the lengthy task of solving them...

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1448 of 2,146

@Stephen5000wrote:

@CanalDiggerwrote:

There really is no point in venting your anger & frustration in this manner. For a start, BT is not a government run company, so can give a bonus out to whoever they please. (If you object to that policy, buy some shares, and attend the next shareholder meeting, and formally object)

Of course you are not likely to see any recompense, you'll find that confirmed in the T&C of the agreement you signed off when you accepted BT WebMail. Getting angry at 'the management' will gain you no results either.

There is no doubt that BT has messed up royally on this, but the best we can do is for a start, keep our temper to ourselves. Then, inform regularly of specific errors that we encounter, so that the poor team that have been tasked with sorting this out can prioritise the errors, and get down to the lengthy task of solving them...

Actually, BT is not just answerable to its shareholders - it is a regulated body - so its Regulator may determine that it has acted anti-competitively and penalise it for that (and of course it is subject to all relevant business legislation) - and the  Rt Hon Oliver Dowden CBE was appointed Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport on 13 February 2020 and would answer questions in the House relevant to telecommunications, and telcos. It is a moot point also whether, with 5m email customers and with its Broadband Business whether it would be deemed to have Significant Market Power in the e-mail market  and be using that power anti-competitively against alternate e-mail suppliers. These remedies are not easy to trigger, of course.

But Ofcom could require BT to compensate customers where it was deemed to be acting anti-competitively - and, for instance, continuing to migrate customers to a system which already has a weight of evidence that it is not competitive - in terms of service quality and capability - whilst having 'captured' those customers trough its broadband offer - might be considered prima facie evidence of anti-competitive behaviour.  Stopping such migration until and if cures are found would mitigate that charge. Just sayin'...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 1449 of 2,146

If I were a pedant, I would say that the mail service per se is absolutely fine, it is just the web user interface (which it is not actually necessary to use) which is the problem. Just sayin'

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1450 of 2,146

Yes, this is right, the underlying severs etc are unchanged, it's the Web front end which isn't up to scratch, that's why it works fine through a client. But it's the Web front end which BT is forcing those who can't use a client (maybe because they access through a work PC or another owned by someone else) to use, or where the user may not be sufficiently expert or confident to install and configure a client.

BT Web Mail is BT's choice of access to its service. So we should judge the service as it's mediated through Web Mail.