cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SCCO
Beginner
Message 1751 of 2,146

Re: Monstrous new BT email upgrade

Thanks to people who have responded to my comment, and I appreciate the helpful tips about text enlargement etc. The important point, I feel, is that I didn't need to adopt any 'remedial' measures before. The old BT mail design was a pleasure to use and I could forget I even have an issue with my eyes. So while, yes, I can adapt to the new design by changing the Zoom ratio etc - isn't it a shame that I now have to take adaptation measures that, previously, I did not . 

It's hardly progress, as others have noted.

The pale flags, the lack of the old 'down' button as you scroll through your inbox display message, the multiple pathway now needed to send a mail to a folder, the vastly inferior search facility (I simply cannot find old emails I used to locate instantly)...

Whoever tested out this new design - did you look at the needs and likes of a large and demographically diverse sample of existing users?  Genuinely, it does not feel like it. 

Fleurette
Beginner
Message 1752 of 2,146

I could not agree more. It is already driving me insane. It is taking me numerous - and I really do mean numerous attempts - to delete e-mails so my inbox is overflowing, and even then I can only tick so many for deletion when it randomly decides to open one instead so I am right back at the beginning.

And ditto for all the issues you have raised also.

Jules68
Expert
Message 1753 of 2,146

@Troutman17wrote:

I may have missed it, but has anyone seen ANYTHING AT ALL positive being said about this upgrade?

Yes, it is much easier to rename subfolders in the new system (if you make your own folders) - although you are restricted as to the character set you can use in the name. And ... well that's about it.

What really annoys me is that my partner's version (with all the acknowledged problems that everyone has) otherwise works very smoothly on the laptop used. Looks dreadful, still, of course. But things open directly and quickly when you click on them. So those who say it's working OK for them (even those not using clients) aren't (just) being annoying. It's clear that the coding BT is using is clashing with some thing(s) on many of our computers. But I'm sure if you run it on a 'clean' machine it runs OK - which is why the BT testers aren't picking up the horrors many of those on this board are.

Jules68
Expert
Message 1754 of 2,146

Re: Monstrous new BT email upgrade - New Horror

My wife (who lives with me) uses a @btinternet address which is linked to our household account (I happen to be the named household account holder)

Since she was cut-over to BT Web Mail for BT Yahoo she can no longer access her mail on any Mobile app or client - her e-mail password is no longer recognised by the server which 'accepts' requests from mobile apps or clients., even though she can still access her account, on the correct password, on the ghastly Web Mail.

She can no longer change the password on her account - as to do so she needs a BT ID - which of course is mine, linked to my name and account. And I can't see a way of me changing her e-mail password from within my account.

Maybe BT should have advised people that they can no longer run separate email accounts (for separate people) through their household broadband. Of course this means that she has lost dynamic access to all her emails except in Web Mail - which is 'better' for her, but still ghastly in all the ways described.

This is complete madness.  Not being able to get access on your mobile to your email simply stinks.

Is there anyway this can be addressed, or will it need huge amounts of coding work? As a fall back she could redirect all her e-mail to her gmail account, but she'd rather not have to.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 1755 of 2,146

Rather than post your problem on the quagmire that this thread has become, if you start your own thread with the problem you are having with your wife's email client you may get assistance about where you are going wrong with your assumptions and what you need to do to change passwords and set up an email client.

EDIT: I note that you have started a new thread.

0 Ratings
Jules68
Expert
Message 1756 of 2,146

@Jules68wrote:

My wife (who lives with me) uses a @btinternet address which is linked to our household account (I happen to be the named household account holder).....

The problem has been identified if not resolved. The subsidiary e-mail account was arbitrarily separated from mine and then declared 'Basic' (as it was no longer associated with a BT Broadband account). Hence no Client or Mobile app access. This stems from an original BT caused administrative fault way back during lock-down, but this part of the horror only emerged with the cut-over to BT Mail.

Of course, it's an (almost) unique fault and set of circumstances so there are no documented solutions. The simplest would probably be to declare it a Premium account, bill it to me, then credit it back - the others seem to involve ceasing accounts with the hope they can be revived!

0 Ratings
Jules68
Expert
Message 1757 of 2,146

@gg30340wrote:

Rather than post your problem on the quagmire that this thread has become, if you start your own thread with the problem you are having with your wife's email client you may get assistance about where you are going wrong with your assumptions and what you need to do to change passwords and set up an email client.

EDIT: I note that you have started a new thread.

As it happens (see above) I was doing everything (i.e setting up a client, handling passwords) right - it was the email address which had wrongly been re-defined as 'Basic' which was causing the problems. Something I could not have addressed and so far - but fingers crossed - neither can BT!

0 Ratings
DISRUPTED
Contributor
Message 1758 of 2,146

v=2.17.1 still unstable. Fails to load or do what it's supposed to every day on many visits.  Wastes a lot of time when one can't get anything to load, have to delete 'one by one' and when box contents 'disappear' sporadically. One can't even log-out when it goes bananas! (Wait state = "loading", except it doesn't.)

It's been at least 3 weeks since this 'buggy' (or beta) version was issued. Users have tested it for you now and told you it's buggy. So why no 'fix' update by now?

JohnRH
Aspiring Expert
Message 1759 of 2,146

@DISRUPTED 

Morning

I hate to disappoint you but you mention that you have had this buggy version for 3 weeks. I got the 'upgrade' mid May because when I renewed my contract with BT around the 20th May I complained bitterly and was told they were aware and it was being sorted.

There is or rather was a list of dates I thought for further updates but I can't recall how to find them. Perhaps someone else can point you to them.

It's appalling, and worse still despite all the complaints from 'early movers' previously perfectly happy customers are it seems still being moved over before the problems with the system have been addressed. It just goes to show the contempt for customers.

I'm sorry that I can't be of any help.

0 Ratings
Stephen5000
Expert
Message 1760 of 2,146

@DISRUPTEDwrote:

v=2.17.1 still unstable. Fails to load or do what it's supposed to every day on many visits.  Wastes a lot of time when one can't get anything to load, have to delete 'one by one' and when box contents 'disappear' sporadically. One can't even log-out when it goes bananas! (Wait state = "loading", except it doesn't.)

It's been at least 3 weeks since this 'buggy' (or beta) version was issued. Users have tested it for you now and told you it's buggy. So why no 'fix' update by now?

My comment on this will be wildly unhelpful for you, but v2.17.1 has been 100% stable for me. Obviously, it has all the known bugs etc, but it has never failed to load, or lost the ability to read/send emails. I feel the issues you are experiencing are exacerbated by this in that the instability you are experiencing isn't a general issue for many others. Hopefully the next update will sort out whatever is ailing your system...

0 Ratings