I have tried to copy my contacts on BT Yahoo in advance of a migration of my main account - whenever that might be! - 3 sub-accounts have been migrated with no real problems - They are infrequently used, each with a small known set of contacts.
I seem to have found a 'feature' which I would appreciate some help with.
Some time ago I was advised by someone in BT that BT Yahoo uses two sets of contacts - those which one proactively creates and put into the Contacts list and those which are transient - i.e. created from the email traffic that one receives/sends - these are included in the 'auto-complete' list of recipients when composing e-mails.
My understanding is that the 'proper' contact list is copied across during migration to the new BT Mail but the transient addresses are not. However I understood that these could be copied using the 'Export to csv' option - but that only seems to include the 'proper' contacts.
Am I doing something incorrectly?
An aside - my 'proper' contact list seems to include some addresses which I am sure I did not create but were from old e-mails. I have had my account for many years - I was a beta-triallist for the original BT consumer e-mail service which replaced Telecom Gold!
Any help appreciated please as I have a lot of 'transient' contacts which will take an age to copy to the 'proper' list
I think that what is going on is that webmail has pictures, links and possibly advertising that is located on an http rather than https place. So you are seeing "mixed" content and, whilst the BT Webmail site may have a digital certificate, some of the displayed content does not. Not 100% sure but I think I have come across this before with other websites. Is that what you are seeing Jules68? Is the padlock in the browser showing ?
Having said all that, I just tried Chrome (where I see 49 cookies) and Firefox (48 cookies) browsers and the secure padlock is appearing on both for webmail.
@Troutman17 - No, where there should be a padlock there's a triangle with an exclamation mark - I've just checked my FB page and Gmail and indeed this page and they all have the closed padlock. Your idea seems plausible - but it's a concern that you are seeing a padlock on the BT Web Mail page and I'm not. BUT - Amazing, I've just refreshed the page (rather than just the folder) and now I get a padlock and only 50 cookies - but the same certificate. I thought I hadn't noticed the warning before - and now it's gone. Very curious. And still a tad concerning. Thanks for the input though, I wouldn't have tested with a refresh otherwise.
Thank you for your feedback. Funny about refreshing the page because, sometimes, I get an error message when I try to delete an email but, upon refreshing the page (this may need 2-3 attempts to get the refresh to work), I can then delete the email. There are some rather erratic things going on with this "new" and "improved" email system.
Sean did make a list of things that the email team were looking at. Let's hope that one day all of this can be fixed and the majority of users will be happy. It is just so annoying that BT have rolled out this new system with so many bugs and anomalies when it was supposed to have been beta tested.
I had an SSL error logging into the community page saying certificate expired. So anything is possible
A very helpful guy from BT rang our house last night and spoke to my husband as I’m away. He said BT were fully aware of the situation and were doing everything they could to rectify things. A new version is expected in the next six weeks followed by a second a few weeks later. They hope they will fix all the faults. In the meantime, I’m sticking with Gmail which is doing a good job of picking up my BT stuff and will revert to BT when things are ok. It was very easy to set up the Gmail account to enable me to do this - even for a complete novice like me!
I too get the warning triangle in the address bar on BT email - have no idea whether I should be concerned or not, I don't have that depth of knowledge to worry LOL
I think the concern is not that you are at risk (the fact it changes, or seems to, if you refresh the page, or did for me, seems reassuring security-wise), but the fact that it suggests that underlying coding is still not right, and in quite an important area.
There should be no doubt that our Mail pages are secure - as these are the ones which constantly get material over which we initially have no control (i.e. e-mails) arriving.
That it's happening only to some of us, at different times again shows that the Web Mail is responding to differences in our set-ups. And possibly transient ones at that. Which it shouldn't.
The hopeful post above suggesting new software drops (though we did know about these) which will be a step change improvement is a more positive note, however - although I do feel in a 'jam tomorrow' mood at the moment.