cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 1931 of 2,146

Re: Welcome (back) to Yahoo - not quite?

@JohnRH 

Couldn't remember if you were using POP3 or IMAP and thread far too long to check back to see. In theory if you mark mail as not spam and add the sender to your safe senders list, the spam filters should eventually catch up.

Mail arriving at the BT mail server is categorised in one of 3 ways.

1. Definitely not Spam-----Delivered to Inbox

2. Definitely Spam------- Discarded at the server, not to delivered to user.

3. Possible Spam------- Delivered to Spam folder

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1932 of 2,146

Things are put into Spam by BT as a default. With a very bad algorithm. You have to tell it to stop. As you did with BT Yahoo, but Yahoo's algorithm is much better at spotting real Spam. All email systems filter Spam. Some are better at it than others.

You can also define legitimate but unwanted marketing emails as Spam 'just for you'. But a good email system let's through legitimate emails, even if unwanted, and blocks suspicious ones. BT's seems to block legitimate emails, like those from Amazon. 

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1933 of 2,146

@licquoricewrote:

@JohnRH 

Couldn't remember if you were using POP3 or IMAP and thread far too long to check back to see. In theory if you mark mail as not spam and add the sender to your safe senders list, the spam filters should eventually catch up.

Mail arriving at the BT mail server is categorised in one of 3 ways.

1. Definitely not Spam-----Delivered to Inbox

2. Definitely Spam------- Discarded at the server, not to delivered to user.

3. Possible Spam------- Delivered to Spam folder

Well, that's the way good email systems work (like Yahoo and gmail) - but with what BT has let through to me, and particularly what it's defined as case 3 - I'm really concerned that if it can't get 1 and 3 right (and it hasn't for me, at least at the start) then is it actually blocking entirely 'good' stuff under case 2. We'd never know, of course. It's a matter of trust - I can't trust BT for 1 and (particularly) 3 - so why should I for 2?

But setting out the 3 branches of the decision tree here is very helpful.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1934 of 2,146

@licquorice 

Thank you for this explanation.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1935 of 2,146

Re: Monstrous new BT email upgrade

Since the original upgrade I have had difficulties in replying ‘to all’ when copied on a group message, and get the following error message:

‘Invalid mail address, must have a domain part [Err code: 501]’

To fix this I have deleted all those copied in the group and re-typed the senders address, having previously checked all of the addresses and confirming that they are all correct. No one else in the group has any problem with ‘reply all’. I’m losing the will to live on this, but any ideas?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1936 of 2,146

@BulletMcQwrote:

Since the original upgrade I have had difficulties in replying ‘to all’ when copied on a group message, and get the following error message:

To fix this I have deleted all those copied in the group and re-typed the senders address, having previously checked all of the addresses and confirming that they are all correct. No one else in the group has any problem with ‘reply all’. I’m losing the will to live on this, but any ideas?

Are you (yet) using a client? If you aren't, and can, try installing one. MS Outlook or Thunderbird both have fans on this forum. The advice is to install via IMAP - the alternative (POP3) will place all the messages onto your own machine - which allows you to work off-line but puts all your messages into a basket which it will be your responsibility to back up. (You can, using IMAP) mirror some folders onto your machine.

You could also try accessing your BT e-mail from another Web Mail - i.e. gmail .

Of course that's appalling advice (if I was a BT person) as it says that BT can't code what others find it (relatively) easy to. But by using a client or access via an email persona on another Web Mail, many find that many of the worst aspects of the BT Web Mail experience can be obviated.

If you aren't, try this and see if 'reply all' then works for you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1937 of 2,146

Thanks for the quick response. Interestingly I used to happily use the Outlook client until a previous BT change/upgrade stopped it working for me. BT support bods ‘fixed’ the problem several times, which worked for a couple of days and then reverted back to the problem, where, if I remember correctly, I could receive emails but couldn’t send, (they didn't tell me what they had done). I’ve just tried my Outlook client (old 2013 version), again and it is currently working OK. I will see how long it lasts. It would quite good though to understand what the problem/fix is, in case needed in the future. Also, has this been reported elsewhere in the forum?

Thanks again for your help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1938 of 2,146

@BulletMcQwrote:

Thanks for the quick response. Interestingly I used to happily use the Outlook client until a previous BT change/upgrade stopped it working for me. BT support bods ‘fixed’ the problem several times, which worked for a couple of days and then reverted back to the problem, where, if I remember correctly, I could receive emails but couldn’t send, (they didn't tell me what they had done). I’ve just tried my Outlook client (old 2013 version), again and it is currently working OK. I will see how long it lasts. It would quite good though to understand what the problem/fix is, in case needed in the future. Also, has this been reported elsewhere in the forum?

Thanks again for your help.

There have been multiple problems reported with addresses, I'm not sure if your specific one, with that error code, has been reported, but BT monitors to review this site and I think put to the email team any 'new' problems which appear real (an error code would suggest it is!) so with luck if it is a new problem the appropriate people will be alerted. They may even have a real (rather than a work-around) fix.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1939 of 2,146

Cheers.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 1940 of 2,146

@BulletMcQ wrote:

Have a look at this thread. It may be relevant

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Invalid-mail-address-must-have-a-domain-part-Err-code-501/td-p/208...

In future, if you have a problem you are best to start a new thread as things posted on this thread tend to get lost in the quagmire and make follow up replies to an individual's problem difficult to follow.

0 Ratings