cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DISRUPTED
Contributor
Message 1961 of 2,146

Re: Welcome (back) to Yahoo - not quite?

@Stephen5000wrote:

Ever forward! This morning, we appear to be on v2.17.3 (up from v2.17.1). Have no idea what has changed, but still no notification of receiving a 'new' email whilst logged in - maybe next week, eh?

I'm seeing a flash notification of new incoming emails whilst logged-in.  😛

It seems the 'delete messages' issue may be fixed too. (Only tested once...)

Maybe BT should put up a page of version history to tell people what's changed and what's been fixed, like others do. How about it, SeanD.?

0 Ratings
Jules68
Expert
Message 1962 of 2,146

@Troutman17 

I think the only way that works is if you are using the POP3 protocol (not IMAP). With POP 3 everything is downloaded to your client and you can set up rules whether (or not) it is later deleted from the BT server. In that way you could end up with much older emails inside your client than on the server. I say that as IMAP is more a 'mirror' between the BT server and your client, with emails not really downloading to your client at all unless you have specified this. [Emails you have put in folders you have created are kept until you delete them on the server, and mirrored into your client].

Most email systems delete SPAM at some stage - gmail does after a month I think - but of course stuff marked as SPAM and sent to your client in POP3 will stay until you actively delete it yourself.

I know that you have said that you use IMAP - but - unless you have set up folders inside Thunderbird in which you have copied emails I cannot see how you can see stuff in Thunderbird older than what is on the BT server.  UNLESS you have set up some or all of your folders in Thunderbird to download to your PC storage - in which case you may have older material on your computer if you've deleted stuff in Web Mail but not in your client.  Normally if you delete in the client it will delete on the BT Server. But not the other way round perhaps if you've set up the client for full download. That is, setting up IMAP effectively to mimic POP3.

Remember that you only get into your active SPAM folder material that BT is unsure about - stuff which they 'know' comes from a dodgy source is blocked before it gets to your SPAM folder. So there will be (perhaps lots) of SPAM that you are completely unaware of. 

0 Ratings
Stephen5000
Expert
Message 1963 of 2,146

@DISRUPTEDwrote:

@Stephen5000wrote:

Ever forward! This morning, we appear to be on v2.17.3 (up from v2.17.1). Have no idea what has changed, but still no notification of receiving a 'new' email whilst logged in - maybe next week, eh?

I'm seeing a flash notification of new incoming emails whilst logged-in.  😛

Wouldn't get that excited, I got that message in v2.17.1 LOL It only happens if the mail you get your new message in falls into the folder actually being viewed at the time. ie. if you have your 'inbox' open, and the email goes to another folder, you'll not be notified of it... But, this is supposedly being rectified in v2.18...

0 Ratings
Troutman17
Contributor
Message 1964 of 2,146

@Jules68 

My apologies - you are quite right. Must be my senior years. I can, however, see my sent mail going back to 2007 on Thunderbird and that tallies. I am using IMAP and, I guess I looked at deleted and sent and got them mixed up. False alarm. By the way, the IMAP setting, as you say, EXACTLY mirrors what is on the BT servers and I have set Thunderbird to leave email there.

0 Ratings
Oddbodkin
Aspiring Expert
Message 1965 of 2,146

It would be funny were it not such an object lesson in failure:

Spam.jpg

0 Ratings
JohnRH
Aspiring Expert
Message 1966 of 2,146

@Oddbodkin 

Interesting because I am running MS Outlook and cannopt access my mail since just after 7am.

Just before 7am MS Outlook accessed BTs servers and and gave me two overnight emails.

I sent one myself at 7.03am and then went to send another at 7.12am. It will not send and came up with initially with a password error.

So I went into webmail and when trying to access it expecting to see just a few emails sitting in my inbox, I delete them myself running POP3, I got the grey circle "loading".......and then quite sometime later "an unexpected error has occured".....so much for thinking that Outlook would solve all problems.

At the moment I cannot access the servers it seems.

Great....

0 Ratings
JohnRH
Aspiring Expert
Message 1967 of 2,146

Looking at Downdetector. It seems I'm not the only one.

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
John225
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1968 of 2,146

"Sorry, this request could not be completed" is all I am seeing this morning 😞

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Expert
Message 1969 of 2,146

I have the same with Web mail just a message "can't complete action", but the emails seem to be coming in OK with outlook, I have not changed any settings.

0 Ratings
Troutman17
Contributor
Message 1970 of 2,146

@Bob1001 

Webmail seems OK now. Is it back for you? Could have been a temporary outage while something was being tweaked overnight. If it were a bank or other similar service, we would all be notified of outages. S.S.D.D. - what we have all come to expect in Broken Britain (playing Brick England by The Pet Shop Boys).

Come on BT, let's see you bring your former high standards back.

0 Ratings