cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1031 of 2,146

Re: Terrible new email "upgrade" - is BT even listening?

We all seem to be getting various, differing problems, some of which 'come & go' hence SIWSID. Please go back a few days to find. A software (with hardware changes in background!) roll out this large/ long running cannot be seen as having only the 1 variant.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1032 of 2,146

Anyway people the real reason for coming back today was to say that the very first problem I encountered many weeks back is still there and I wonder if someone else would try this.

I like to place photographs within emails, note within, not attach. It is usual for such photos to be automatically downsized and certainly I have never had issues before with any email system.

I have currently sitting on my desktop a 3.21mb photo.

I compose an email.

I place the cursor at the point I want to insert the photo.

I use the "local image" icon as below.

Capture.JPG

It then enables me to select a photo and insert it into my email.

Except it's huge and I get this error message.

Capture05.JPG

The only way around this is to downsize the photo manually usually to somewhere under 0.5mb and then it works.

It was this fault that caused the original call to BT. I was routed through to Premium Mail.

I was told the problem was known and was caused by Firefox and that I should use Edge.

I installed Edge and it made b.........all difference.

I reported back to Premium Mail and a second person said they knew this was a problem and were looking at it.

But it still doesn't work.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1033 of 2,146

Re: Monstrous new BT email upgrade

'I think BT should restore Yahoo versions until it can get its act together. This is not good publicity '

Sadly, I don't think that's an option. BT contracted with Yahoo when it first created a portal for Yahoo to provide an e-mail service. This was later re-badged BT Yahoo - but BT has for a long time intended to withdraw from the Yahoo service and run its own e-mail system (presumably because it believed it could do so at lower cost.

I imagine its withdrawal of services from Yahoo and migration to its own service has contractual implications. So I don't think there's an option to move customers back to Yahoo - although I believe it would be possible, at a price, to negotiate a stop of further migration until a proper e-mail service can be offered. I imagine BT is not doing so, if it isn't, either because of cost or a loss of face. Or both.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1034 of 2,146

I wouldn't normally post two things together, but I couldn't post anything until the above message had cleared out of the system, held up by the glitch reported above.

A few months ago I had a major problem - nothing to do with this at all - but I was told the hold-up in clearing it was that the team who normally handled this complex transaction were based in India, locked down and unable to respond, so they were having to train a UK based team to handle this sort of transaction (it was a BT Mobile issue). What if the WebMail software development team is also India based (a lot of really good software development stems from there) but they too are locked down and unable to work on the system (there are real connectivity issues out of office so homeworking often isn't an option in lock-down). 

That might explain the curious silence of BT about this (not something they'd want to admit) and also why it was continuing so badly. Of course stopping the migration would have been the right call - but maybe the senior honcho won't allow it - no doubt a completed migration forms part of his/ her bonused objectives. 

Oh, and for the avoidance of doubt, it was I who suggested that one explanation for the different problems being described in the same problem area might be the result of more than one version of the software 'in the wild'. I was floating an hypothesis, not making a statement of fact.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1035 of 2,146

@Jules68 

Good afternoon.

I would add another reason. BT are in no hurry whatsoever because they know people are in contract and I suspect most are stuck with BT until their contract ends or BT impose a price increase and some are permitted to leave early. Until then BT can take as long as it wishes and devote a few resources as it wants. It's a calculated risk, it knows people can't leave and so it hopes people get used to it and muddle through until it deals with it or they give up and live with it. Rather like we did we BT India call centres which anyone who dealt with them could determine the first time they were utterly useless.Yet BT continued with them for how many years?

Basically we users have zero leverage and BT knows it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 1036 of 2,146

@JohnRH wrote:

@gg30340 

He actually says "there appears to be several versions of this roll out"....not that there is. And I don't think it's unreasonable because it's odd that not everyone gets the same problem, but that could be for a variety of reasons.

However given zero response from BT people are going to speculate and that's all we can do.

"it's odd that not everyone gets the same problem, but that could be for a variety of reasons" means that  "there appears to be several versions of this roll out". (My Bold).

That is some speculation!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1037 of 2,146

It's a reasonable & valid suggestion when one considers the context & many differing issues people are seeing.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1038 of 2,146

@Oddbodkin 

Do you ever get the feeling that certain contributors are fighting the corner for BT rather than contributing anything useful to dealing with this problem, because I do?

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 1039 of 2,146

@JohnRH wrote:

@Oddbodkin 

Do you ever get the feeling that certain contributors are fighting the corner for BT rather than contributing anything useful to dealing with this problem, because I do?

Not that old chestnut again!!

I think if you read through this thread you will see that "certain contributors" have assisted more posters than those that sit and pontificate and speculate about the the funding\staffing levels\ number of versions \location of webmail software team\staff bonuses\contractual obligations\etc etc which is all nothing more than hot air and in my opinion in no way helps any of the people that are having problems with this migration.

But Hey Ho if you think it is helping just you carry on pontificating and speculating. 

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1040 of 2,146

@gg30340 

Yawn

0 Ratings