Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnRH
Aspiring Expert
Message 1771 of 2,146

Re: Monstrous new BT email upgrade

@Stephen5000 

Yes you are correct. Any sent emails from a POP3 are retained only at my end. There are no copies on webmail.

Look at webmail and there are copies of all emails arriving and they remain there until I finally delete them.

I have robust backup system in place and giving the latest farce with the email I know who I trust to retain them.

On a very early webmail with BT they did lose a complete month of my emails due to some issue.

So I have a complete email trail going back some 15 years (except one month)........something like 30GB.

Certainly if you were to run multiple devices I can see that IMAP would be best.

0 Ratings
JohnRH
Aspiring Expert
Message 1772 of 2,146

So my previous comment makes me think I'll empty my sent folder on the webmail.

I clear it so they end up in the trash folder.

I then delete the contents ....3605....in the trash folder.

I get an error message that theres an 'error' in emptying the trash folder......gawd.

0 Ratings
Oddbodkin
Aspiring Expert
Message 1773 of 2,146

Re: Monstrous new BT email upgrade - New Horror

@Stephen5000wrote:

@Oddbodkinwrote:

@Stephen5000wrote:

@DISRUPTEDwrote:

v=2.17.1 still unstable. Fails to load or do what it's supposed to every day on many visits.  Wastes a lot of time when one can't get anything to load, have to delete 'one by one' and when box contents 'disappear' sporadically. One can't even log-out when it goes bananas! (Wait state = "loading", except it doesn't.)

It's been at least 3 weeks since this 'buggy' (or beta) version was issued. Users have tested it for you now and told you it's buggy. So why no 'fix' update by now?

My comment on this will be wildly unhelpful for you, but v2.17.1 has been 100% stable for me. Obviously, it has all the known bugs etc, but it has never failed to load, or lost the ability to read/send emails. I feel the issues you are experiencing are exacerbated by this in that the instability you are experiencing isn't a general issue for many others. Hopefully the next update will sort out whatever is ailing your system...

The issues ARE a general problem, hence multiple people making posts stating they're suffering from them.

It's NOT "our systems" which are ailing, it's BT's utter rubbish email system.

They've known it's rubbish for months, yet clearly don't care enough about their customers to allocate the resources needed to fix the mess.

Maybe it's your definition of 'unstable' is the issue. Windows 3.1 was unstable - every few days you'd just get the infamous BSOD (Blue screen of death) as it simply crashed for no known reason requiring a full reboot. This is 'unstable'. I have experienced various programs over the decades that are genuinely unstable, crashing either itself, or your computer.

BT's email isn't 'unstable' as such. Yes, it has numerous faults with it's use, but it doesn't crash your computer, does it?

It crashes itself, locks up, ceases working, often & repeatedly

That's unstable by any objective understanding of the word.

0 Ratings
JohnRH
Aspiring Expert
Message 1774 of 2,146

And......

Deleting large amounts of emails in one hit isn't possible.

Put a tick in the little box to the left of the search box and that selects 50 emails. You can delete 50 at a go.

Put a tick to the left of the first email, top of the list, scroll a long way down hit shift and put a tick in a box, you expect everything above all the way to the first tick to be selected. It doesn't.

But scroll back up and a large number are ticked, many more than 50 however the box that appears on the right still says 1 message (s) selected.

And for those who don't believe me.

Capture.JPG

But select delete and it deletes the ONE and the box the changes to "199 messages selected" but only allows you to then delete a single ONE at a time.

So 50 a time it had to be.

Obviously another undocumented feature of the email upgrade......

Stephen5000
Expert
Message 1775 of 2,146

Re: Monstrous new BT email upgrade - New Horror

It crashes itself, locks up, ceases working, often & repeatedly

That's unstable by any objective understanding of the word.

Yep, that's unstable - luckily I have never experienced any such behaviour.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 1776 of 2,146

@JohnRH wrote:

And......

Deleting large amounts of emails in one hit isn't possible.

Put a tick in the little box to the left of the search box and that selects 50 emails. You can delete 50 at a go.

Put a tick to the left of the first email, top of the list, scroll a long way down hit shift and put a tick in a box, you expect everything above all the way to the first tick to be selected. It doesn't.

But scroll back up and a large number are ticked, many more than 50 however the box that appears on the right still says 1 message (s) selected.

And for those who don't believe me.

But select delete and it deletes the ONE and the box the changes to "199 messages selected" but only allows you to then delete a single ONE at a time.

So 50 a time it had to be.

Obviously another undocumented feature of the email upgrade......

You can delete more than 50 emails at a time. It has been covered previously in this thread and in other threads about BTMail.

See message 1249 in this thread

and this thread

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Re-Deleting-email/m-p/2062986#M84196

JohnRH
Aspiring Expert
Message 1777 of 2,146

@gg30340 

Sadly no it does not work on mine.

A repeated press of the pgdn key will increment the number of emails until I get to 181 and then no more. I have just tried this three times. If I continue to press pgdn once the number stops at 181 the whole thing freezes.

It does not work.

However then click on the page on an email and a yellow box briefly appears at the top saying Maximum number of items , 701, selected.....so which is it 181 or 701?

Just did a very poor screen shot to prove what I am saying. Good eh? And you people wonder why we users are sick to the teeth of all this.

Capture555.JPG

And in any event the relatively standard method of selecting a batch in any software is select one item. Scroll and select a second with shift depressed. The list is then highlighted and a press of delete removes them.

Why reinvent the wheel?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 1778 of 2,146

I have used a folder with 322 emails in it for test purposes.

Using shift & down arrow selects all 322 messages and I can drag them into the Trash bin or select delete and they end up in the trash bin. The "messages selected" box in the preview pane only shows 200 although 322 are selected and 322 end up in trash.

Using the shift & Pgdn it selects all 322 messages and I can drag them into the Trash bin or select delete and they end up in the trash bin. The "message selected" box in the preview pane only shows 200 although 322 are selected and 322 end up in trash. 

Using  ticking one email then scrolling and selecting a second with shift depressed only selects a maximum of 200. I can drag them into the Trash bin or select delete and the 200 end up in the trash bin. The "message selected" box in the preview pane shows 200 selected.

Did you try dragging and dropping which when you "pick them up" it will show you how many emails you are dragging?

Did you try deleting them then checking the Trash bin to see how many emails were in there?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 1779 of 2,146

What do you mean by this comment?

"And you people wonder why we users are sick to the teeth of all this".

0 Ratings
JohnRH
Aspiring Expert
Message 1780 of 2,146

@gg30340 

Well I went back and tried it again to get the screen shot so that was a fourth time.

Each time 181 selected and no more.

The screen freezes, you cannot do anything and that is why I used my mouse to try to click on an email to get it to open and see if that would at least work.

It was then that I discovered that the yellow box appears very briefly, perhaps just for a couple of seconds. Hence why I couldn't get a normal screen shot and had to do it another way and hence poor quality but you can clearly see 181 selected on one message and 701 on the other yellow message.

I was just stating the painfully obvious. Yes people here are tetchy, people are angry. But this example tonight is typical again of a system that isn't working when we are told it is. Or rather it isn't for for some people.

But you cannot argue that something isn't wrong when clearly the system is stating two different numbers.

To be fair I trust you when you say it works for you but it doesn't for me as shown in the screen shot. And that would follow the experiences of so many people here who seem to have a variety of faults.