Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 691 of 2,146

Re: Monstrous new BT email upgrade

@Jules68 wrote:
In my experience write to The Chairman, not the CEO and copy it to the head of Ofcom and your MP. Point out the issues of a virtual monopoly service provider (broadband with email). It becomes a flag case. The Chairman's Office, not the Chairman, of course, will be tasked to get a reply because of the copyees.

Without passing comment on the current problems with BT's email migration I'd love to hear how you have come to this conclusion :- "issues of a virtual monopoly service provider (broadband with email)"  when there are more than 200 Internet providers in the UK that provide email and in excess of 200 stand alone email services and that is not counting all the email services that are available if you get your own domain service.

0 Ratings
Jules68
Expert
Message 692 of 2,146

I am considering the issue (in the European Competition Directive - subsumed in our own Competition Act and likely to continue post-Brexit) of Significant Market Power (SMP). That clearly, as a broadband and internet supplier with an e-mail offering bundled into that, BT has. The number of competitors is irrelevant, it is the scale and scope of BT's offer which is of issue. Can it be described as dominant? Ofcom's continued focus on BT suggests that is so. Despite the few big competitors to BT a case can certainly be made for SMP - and it is such a case which BT would very much want to avoid being made. Offering a very poor service because you can might well be seen as an abuse of power
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 693 of 2,146

BT ISP have 9 million customers, Sky 6 million , Virgin 5 million  so while BT have more customers than the other two individually they are obviously not a "virtual monopoly".

Not excusing poor service but basically it is not a "virtual monopoly" as you have stated but they do have a significant share of the market, which may well be because people have decided to use that company as against the other 199 + suppliers and I doubt BT are providing a "very poor service because they can" but perhaps you know something about that which you may wish to enlighten us with.

0 Ratings
goldmankind
Aspiring Expert
Message 694 of 2,146

Lets not forget to mention the 29.2 Million Customers of EE  that are part of the BT Empire 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 695 of 2,146

@goldmankind wrote:

Lets not forget to mention the 29.2 Million Customers of EE  that are part of the BT Empire 

In the UK they have about 1 million broadband customers which is what was under discussion. They are primarily a mobile phone company. 

0 Ratings
goldmankind
Aspiring Expert
Message 696 of 2,146

They  are still  part of BT

0 Ratings
goldmankind
Aspiring Expert
Message 697 of 2,146

1 million  Broadband customers of EE  which count as BT Customers as BT owns EE

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 698 of 2,146

@goldmankind wrote:

They  are still  part of BT

and your point is... 

EE are a part of the BT Group not the BT Retail ISP. The discussion was about BT Broadband and email having a monopoly which even if you add EE's customers it still doesn't make them have a monopoly.

0 Ratings
Oddbodkin
Aspiring Expert
Message 699 of 2,146

That doesn't change the fact that BT's "new improved" email service is utter garbage & BT appears quite happy to ignore its customers & continue giving them an utterly **bleep** service.

Oh & on that note: Every forum I use sends ONE email notification of a new reply to a discussion & doesn't send another until I've once more visited the relevant page.

Not BT Communities though- umpteen unnecessary email notifications for every time someone makes a new comment.

Can't say I'm surprised...

0 Ratings
Oddbodkin
Aspiring Expert
Message 700 of 2,146

Do you agree the "new improved" email system is a disastrous mess?

If not, why not?

0 Ratings