cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tommyo
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Mother in law forgotten password and security question answers and locked out of email

How can I help her to  reset her password?

She has forgotten the password to her btinternet email address, also her gmail account for which the btinternet email is the rescue email address. I've had a web chat with BT which promised a password/passcode in the post (this never arrived) and a subsequent webchat was terminated by the operator when things started going round in circles.

She can't remember the answer to the security question for resetting her password and doesn't have a mobile registered...

I've run out of options, can anyone help?

Thanks, Tommy

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Mother in law forgotten password and security question answers and locked out of email

Is your mother the BT broadband account holder and was her email address the "master" email account or was it a sub account of the master account.

You may not be aware of this but in order to reset the password if it was a sub account, the password security questions/answers are the ones used for the master account. 

If the email account was the master email account you will need to contact BT again and have them resend the passcode.  This gets sent to the BT Broadband account holder's address so check with BT that they have the correct one.

Another thing to be aware of is that if she has not accessed the email account within 90 days it may have been deleted and can not be recovered and as such the password reset would not be able to be carried out.

0 Ratings
Tommyo
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Re: Mother in law forgotten password and security question answers and locked out of email

yes, she is the broadband account holder and only email address holder on the account. yes, she has been locked out for more than 90 days I think... What do I ask for to get a password sent out if this is still possible? the second webchat we had seemed to deny this was possible, when the first operator told us it would be sent out and it never arrived.. thanks, Tommy
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

I am not sure if this is still the correct phone number but try calling 0800 707 6310 and explain the problem. They should be able to reset the email password. You will need to have your mother there when you call so that she can verify she is the account holder and you may need to have the BT Broadband account number so have a copy of that to hand. 

0 Ratings