cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GeorgeBowyer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Moving Folders

I use Outlook for accessing my emails and have done since i first had my btinternet account a good 15 years ago. I currently use the latest version of Outlook from Office 365. It is all set up on IMAP not POP3.

I have my inbox divided into sub-folders (into which email is sorted by various "rules", and I have a number of data folders, by subject, into which I move emails for storage once read.

The other day, I accidently (careless slip of the mouse) moved a data storage folder (containing several subfolders and several thousand messages) into one of my inbox sub-folders. It moved oh-so-quickly, no problem at all.

Now, however, nothing I try will get it back out again. If I move it in Outlook, the btserver somehow over-rules the move and it just shifts back into the inbox sub-folder again.

I have tried doing through the new webmail server - and that is worse than useless.

I have had several telephone calls with customer service, including what has to rate as the worst customer service experience that I have ever had in my life, where the so-called technician basically accused me of lying about the problem, saying that the folder cannot have moved from where I said it did.

What on earth is going on???

It cannot be impossible to move a subfolder out into the root folder. Folder management has been one of the most basic facets of computer file-management since the old days of MSDOS before probably most people on here  were born.

Can someone advise of to whom to turn for assistance?

Thank  you.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
GeorgeBowyer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 16

Re: Moving Folders

Disappointing lack of responses.... 😞
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

Have you tried turning off the device that has Outlook on it before you drag and drop the folder in BT webmail back to where you want it.

Before turning your device back on give sufficient time for the folder and its contents to transfer out of the inbox.

0 Ratings
GeorgeBowyer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

No, because I use the same laptop for both - but I see where you're coming from...

I will give it a go when I get access to an alternative device.

Thanks 🙂

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

Just shutdown Outlook whilst manipulating folders on webmail, then restart on completion.

0 Ratings
sunshinesmile
Beginner
Message 6 of 16

How exactly do I move folders in BT Yahoo Webmail view please? Drag and drop doesn't work. No option on right mouse button. 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

I don't use webmail, but having just taken a look I don't think you can!!! Unbelievable.

0 Ratings
GeorgeBowyer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

It's unbelievably painful.

I have been using my bt email address for probably around 15 years now and a while back I accidentally moved a main storage folder into a folder in my inbox (a very simple mis-click in MSOutlook). I now cannot get it back out again.

The problem was then compounded by a "BT helpline assistant" (and I sneer as I type those words)  who then somehow copied half of my folders and split other whilst trying to help. He then lied about having done it.

I have spoken to the "help" line several times since and they try to tell me that moving folders in and out of other folders is, was and always has been impossible and that I don't know what I am talking about - whereas, of course, nested file structures have been one of the elementary building blocks of virtually all data storage  systems since the days of MS DOS

All I need is 5 minutes help from someone who can get into the  file storage system with some proper software instead of the crappy webmail interface and my problem will be sorted. Can BT arrange this? No. Mostly because they don't even seem to be able to understand the problem.

The customer service I have been getting from BT is quite literally the worst I have ever had from any company. Period.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

What I would suggest you try, is to download the email client Thunderbird, and configure it as IMAP.

It will take a while for it to copy the folder structure locally, but then you should be able to see the folder which is within the inbox.

You can then simply drag it out of the inbox, into a new folder. That will be reflected on the BT email server.

There is a guide here Using the Thunderbird e-mail client - IMAP connection

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

@Keith_Beddoe  the OP is already using Outlook

0 Ratings