cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
333pete
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Moving to BT Premium Email - do I need a new bt Id for the new account?

Go to solution

Just moved in with my partner so have closed my broadband account and opened a BT Premium email account. Do I need a new BT id for this account. At the moment, when I log in with my previous ID I get error messages and have a choice between my old account number or ‘Account 1’. I know my new account number and it’s not ‘Account 1’. Have tried to get a new Id for the premium email account but just keep getting the message “this email is already linked to a BT id”. Will this sort itself out in the fullness of time? I opened the premium email account the same day I closed my broadband account. Many thanks for any help. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Moving to BT Premium Email - do I need a new bt Id for the new account?

Go to solution

I suspect that you will need a new BTID because your old BTID would have been linked to your old/closed account.

You can contact the BT Premium email team on 0808 100 6778 who should be able to advise.

If your partner is also a BT Broadband customer you could have your email account associated with that account and that would mean you no longer have to pay for Premium Email.

0 Ratings
333pete
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thank you for your (very quick)  reply. My partner is with another provider. I will try the phone number you have provided tomorrow. I suspect BT will have to de-link my email address from my old account for me to be able to get a new id. At the moment I still have 60 days email on my old account so the link is active. My worry is that when the 60 days expires I will lose my email address or.........it might be that if my email address is no longer linked to my old account then I will be able to get a new id. Don’t really want to take that chance as I have some important emails I don’t want to lose!

Sad that when trying to create a new id won’t get me past the email and let me input the new account number. A bit like someone answering a question before you have finished the question!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

As a stop gap measure to ensure you don't lose any emails you should set up a gmail account and forward them to it.

If you have any problems after you have contacted the Premium email team post back to see if further help can be offered.

0 Ratings
333pete
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for the tip, I’ve backed up some of the emails to gmail. I take that if I forward any emails to another email address I won’t lose them if my bt account got deleted. Anyway, got in touch with the Premium Mail team and they managed to link my email to my Premium Mail account. It took the 25+ minutes and handing over control of my PC to them. They said there was a technical problem with my email address not being accepted and part of the solution was to change my password. Anyway, all set up now (hopefully) and I will still have access to the emails in my account after 60 days. Many thanks for your help Distinguished.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Provided you have not deleted them, forwarded emails are now held on the original email servers ie BT's and the servers of the service you forwarded them to ie gmail.

0 Ratings