Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

Moving to Thunderbird email client

Go to solution

So after decades of bt web mail i am switching to Thunderbird, all seems OK , and managed to export my 'contacts' .....but how do i export all my bt folders please.  I set my Thunderbird as POP3 . in box and trash displayed in TB but no folders transferred ?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Moving to Thunderbird email client

Go to solution

You need to set Thunderbird as IMAP if you want to sync your folders.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for reply, I clicked POP option in Thunderbird install as i believe it is more secure, and POP can delete messages on the mail server   ...  will IMAP do that please   

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

No, IMAP stores the mail on the server, POP3 stores the mail on the machine. However, POP3 only downloads the Inbox from the server, any other folders created in webmail won't be replicated on your PC including Sent mail. You can create the same folders in Thunderbird but they won't be replicated on the server.

If there aren't a huge number of mails to move, you can simply move them back into the Inbox on webmail and then move them to the folder in Thunderbird.  Bit of a faff but can be done.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks ... how about I create a Thunderbird IMAP account pointing at my BT mail .. get it to copy / sync all email and folders , , then disable that account, then create another account pointing to same BT email but this time POP3 so i will have a archive of the old emails on the client but using POP from then on .. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Yes, you could do that.

When you have transferred the folders over to Thunderbird, drag and drop them all under the Local Folders folder so you don't lose them when you remove the IMAP account.

0 Ratings