cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rasher77
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

My BT Emails have Dissapeared

Hi there.   Im currently a BT Fibre customer with BT and decided to move to Virgin when my contract expires on the 5th Mar 2021.   I called up cancellations on the 28/01/21 and they said they would stop my service on the 05/03/21 but that I would also lose my premium Email service , but that it would not be straight away, well guess what..... It happened 2 days later.   I have no emails in my BT Inbox on my Iphone ( although sent and draft emails still present ).  I cannoy log into my BT emails on the desktop site either and I noticed whilst trying to register on this forum using my BT email address it said it wasn't a valid email address.   Im Livid as I had lots of business emails in my inbox and I depend on this.   I contacted 1 person on the email team and she put me on hold for ages but then decided without consent to transfer me to some other poor sod called Todd I believe.   He was at least helpful in that he tried to delve into why my emails have gone and said he would escalte this but heard nothing back the rest of the day.   Can anyone please help me as a matter of urgency.   I was considering reversing my cancellation and staying with BT but this has tipped me towards Virgin again.  I've been a BB customer with BT for years and I think its disgusting how they think its fine to disconnect me from my email service 😞   Regulator will be the next port of call.  Any help is appreciated,  thanks

Allan Kane 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: My BT Emails have Dissapeared

Can you clarify that as well as having a BT Broadband package you were also paying for a BT Premium email account and that it is the BT Premium email account that has the problem?

Have you tried logging onto your MyBT and going to "Your Products" then "Mail, manage" to see if your email account is there and if it is what status is it showing?

0 Ratings
Rasher77
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Hi DS,   Yes I can confirm its the Standard account which I got with my BB.   Its showing active and now lets me log in.   Problem is that all of my inbox has gone except for new emails which came in in the last few days ???   Seems something wiped them after the cancellation request?    So much data lost.    BT have been woeful in their response.  Spent nearly an hour on the phone to them a day or two ago and first lady put me on hold for 15 mins then transferred me to a bloke who had no idea who I was lol.   She just handbagged me to someone else and she was supposed to be in the email help dept lol ?    Second guy did his best and said he would escalate it but heard nothing since.  Feel let down big time.

Al

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are very busy at present so it can take up to 48 hours for them to contact you. They will do this by posting on this thread.

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 5 of 11

Hi @Rasher77,

Thanks for posting. Sorry you've lost your email. Can you just check if you've dowloaded them to pop3 or are they on any other devices you might have?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Rasher77
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Hi David,  I've no idea what pop 3 is ?   I had them on my iphone along with a hotmail account.  None of my Hotmail emails disappeared just all of my BT inbox emails.  All other BT emails are there like the sent box etc.   The inbox has started to fill again its just the inbox emails before the 1st feb that have seem to have disappeared??   Thanks

Al

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 7 of 11

Hi @Rasher77 your email is not automatically deleted when you leave BT Broadband. If it was deleted it wouldn't be working at all, so I think something else has happened.  POP3 and IMAP are the types of settings used when setting the email up using an email client like outlook or on your iPhone, the most common reason for the emails being deleted is that the email has been set up on multiple devices using a mixture of settings and the emails have been downloaded to a device and deleted from the server.

Have you recently turned on an old phone or computer that may have previously been set up to view your emails? I'd also recommend checking the bin folder on your iPhone?

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Rasher77
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Hi Neil

Thanks again for your reply on this.   I'm not sure where they've gone as I didn't do anything different right before they dissapeared.  I built a new gaming PC recently and wiped my SSD drive to reload Windows.  Apart from that I haven't changed anything.   They seemed to disappear once I Cancelled my BT contract.   Also noticed that after the cancellation I tried logging in to my BT account and my email address ( which is stored on the PC and doesn't change obviously ) was not recognised.   It looks to me like they messed up and rather than come clean someone has reactivated my acount again.   I've still not had anyone contact me about it yetr even though I spent an hour on the phone to them    Useless !

At least you are some help and offering solutions etc.    Where should I now check for these pop3 emails ? lol      I need instyructions in Lehmans terms Neil.  I repair avionics on aeroplanes, If I started to talk about Radars and Wavelengths you might not have a clue what Im on about 🙂    Cheers

Al

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 9 of 11

Hi @Rasher77 no problem, whilst I appreciate you're scepticism that something may have happened when you requested the Broadband to be cancelled I really don't think that is the case. Did you have your email set up on an email client like Outlook, Thunderbird or similar on the gaming PC? If it was set up using IMAP email settings and the emails were deleted on the PC this could have deleted them from the server as any changes when using an email set up using IMAP settings will reflect across all your devices. 

I'll send you a private message in a moment so you can get in touch with the moderation team and we can ask our email team to take a look, I don't want to get your hopes up on recovering them as this may not be possible but we'll be happy to check.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Rasher77
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Morning Neil 

The PC had my Hotmail account on it only.  My IPhone is the only device which has my BT emails on it.   Could do with going down the route of checking my Mail settings on my iPhone to see whether or not somethings happened but I’m not sure how or what to check.    Thanks. 

Al

0 Ratings